Wednesday, May 18, 2011

more thumps and bumps

and more than a few FRNs back into circulation BUT

I have an anvil and am now the proud owner of a Oxy/acetylene torch set. Investing in my future and more shit to haul around but damned useful tools. Next up is a portable forge or furnace. If I make the forge, it will be made from scrap. If I make the furnace, I will have to purchase refractory materials for the walls. I haven't quite made up my mind which yet but I have decided on portable (well, as portable as a few hundred pounds is. * cough* Lathe/mill *cough*. Starting to think I need a BIG enclosed trailer. (and that means bigger truck, dangit)

Update on the stirling engine: back to square one. I have the crankshaft made and am happy with the way that turned out but the block design left lots to be desired. Luckily, it remelt for the next round of trial and error I will attempt.

Here is the finished anvil. I will admit that the front half is rough but I really don't mind; the thing is meant to be beat with hammers. It can look like an ugly step sister for all I care.
This is one step I took to ease my gas usage for the final cuts. The top of the beak was cut out using a 12" gas powered chop saw. I attempted to cut part of the throat out the same way but ended up chewing up too much blade in the process. (hence my decision to get a torch)
And here is my personal boost to the economy today. $575 out the door including filled tanks and I OWN it, tanks included. I can take them anywhere in the country for refills, haven't a monthly bill to deal with, and, It has potential for far more uses than just cutting apart a piece of rail.
Back to work tomorrow and I have an outline for a post all in my head and jotted down in notes. Waiting for another shoe to fall before I post though.

Talk to ya all tomorrow.

4 comments:

Mayberry said...

Looks like an anvil to me, nice work! Tell me how many other folks have made one from a railroad tie... You could probably count them on two hands with some amputated fingers : )

Spud said...

Nice , good thing ya didn't use the tie tho. Mighta been a little soft.lol

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mayberry above - nice job! Being handy with tools really pays off.

Diogenes said...

I am one to make things, always have been, always will be. They may not be the prettiest girl at the dance but they do what they need to.

Yeah, the tie would have been a bit soft and all that creosote would burst in flames when hot iron was laid on it. Smokey to boot. Just ribbin on ya Craig. LOL