Monday, August 9, 2010

Ho-hum,

We are witnessing the further demoralization of America with the Leading Royalty split amongst the world Spending our Children's money in mad fashion. MO in spain spending 75K a day. BO choppering 6 miles to give a speech on Energy conservation? Then his "Display" of b-ball skill with NBA in front of Wounded warriors.(And he calls certain Music people 'an ass'? Hmmm? )

Piss on 'em. I am going ahead with my plans for the gulch and they aren't going to be able to stop me. They may send their thugs later to 'collect' what I am refusing to give, and they may kill me. SO WHAT.

Like Mayberry said "If I live only five more minutes as a Free man, they will be the best five minutes of my life! I do not fear death, because it surely can't be worse than life under tyranny."

I spent most of yesterday looking over the Rock pile that represents most of what makes up the couple of acres that I will be building. I chose this location for its remoteness. The other piece is much better suited to building and what not but is within 30 yards of a road and railroad. (not a major line, CSX coal run but think about how covered with thugs that will become, when Coal is a MAJOR Commodity to keep the lights on and requires armed protection.) Yes, I said rock pile. If you are familiar with the Smoky Mountains you may have some idea what I am talking about. Yes you can build on it. Yes, you can farm in it(kinda) One great advantage is the Fresh Water springs the are littered about the area. I have 2 good springs and one seep within the bounds of my area. The seep can be worked for a better flow and I plan on keeping Guineas in that area. There is a good sandy spot there that they may prefer for laying and that will be just fine by me(much better eggs than 'store bought')
The Rocks don't deter me, in fact, I am pleased with the quantity. With some power equipment I can move them around for 'fashionable defense'. In the smaller ones, they will be used for walls and what not in building my workshop(more specifically, the foundation and surround for my forge/smelter. Lined with Refractory cement and brick, I should be able to achieve 1800-2200 degrees, not Iron melting but good enough for Al, Tin, and blacksmithing (even forge welds) One other advantage of this area is the convenience of cheap coal. I won't heat my house with it but I can run it in my forge. Maybe able to get even hotter than above.(EPA BE DAMNED!)

The only downside of the 'rocks' is digging for the basement. Fortunately, I have access to certain tools for that if we uncover something bigger than a 55 gal drum. I had thought about going without a basement but the added storage possibilities are too enticing. Much easier to keep Mason jars and what not in places like basements.

So you may be wondering why the rambling? LOL I was just spouting at the mouth(fingertips?) while waiting for my phone to finish sending this pic.

This is the view from what will be my back porch. No great expanses or really great sunsets, but I rather like the way the light cuts through the trees. At the bottom of it you can see the rocks I was talking about. The closest one is about the size of a small motorcycle. The seep I was talking about it roughly 15 yards down the hill from this area. The two springs are off to the right of here and about 30 yards apart. One is currently delivering about 2 gallons a minute the other is slightly less than that. Considering we haven't had rain in about a week, that is significant. I plan on tapping into one of them for feeding a cistern. Even in long dry spells I should be ok. Altitude is 1300ft above sea level so I do have to worry about Fleas and Ticks on the animals and myself (unlike in Denver or 29 Palms Ca. Altitude does wonders on Fleas)

Further updates will be forthcoming as I break ground. Digging both foundation and Septic system first. (next weekend is chainsaw time to clear those areas. First firewood for the house. Should be seasoned well by the time I need it)

7 comments:

Mayberry said...

Looks like a purty patch of ground! The guineas should keep the ticks down, don't know about fleas...

Anonymous said...

If you build in the forest, take into account that forest fires will run unchecked if society takes a holiday. Build with fire resistant / proof materials or have a way to keep your home from burning - losing everything in one fell swoop would really suck!

Nice view, I agree though - very peaceful. You have natural springs adjacent to that spot? AWESOME! That is one helluva great resource there, I sure wish I had that luxury.

Joel said...

Nice! Been engulched full-time for about four years now, never tempted to look back. Best decision you can make.

Do it! Don't let the rocks get you down. (some days they will.)

J

tweell said...

Beautiful. Some folks would look at that and say 'desolate wilderness', but with a bit of work it'll be your little slice of heaven.

Grumpyunk said...

The work involved will only make you appreciate what you have all the more when done.

Good water is a resource that has no dollar value. Lucky indeed.

Diogenes said...

Thanks all. Been striving for this and never realized that it was so close to me the whole time. Cincinnati is a faded memory already and No, I will never look back again.(may go back to visit but that's it)

Toaster 802 said...

Very cool!

We ended up settling on a 2 acre patch of farm land, surrounded by more farmland. Clear field of fire, with no close nieghbors. The place we really wanted was a lot like yours, but the owners bank stepped in at the last minute, then did not winterize the house. Heating and water pipes burst, and destroyed the house. It is still there rotting with mold. But I am sure the bank got tax dollars for purposefully destroying my dream house.

So we landed here, and will make hay when the sun shines.

Glad to see more people doing the same!