Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Something a little different to post today.

Been light posting lately since things are starting to gear up for the winter months around here. Winter in Cincinnati is a strange breed. Sometimes things actually look like winter but for only a week at a time. Those that talk about global warming probably grew up here. LOL The only bad winter I can really remember was in '76 and I remember the snow drift that buried the front of my Dad's house. Other than that we tend to get hammered once or twice and the rest of the time its either trying to make up its mind or leaning towards summer.

I picked up a Chevy Tahoe for a parts car to repair my truck this past weekend. That has been taking up a lot of my time. I didn't 'Need' the repairs that I have been doing but 'parts is parts' right? So I took the powered seats out of the beast and installed them along with the center console in my truck. I am in the process right now of swapping the doors out. Mine are rather beat up and the hinge pins are worn out. I did purchase the new pins but the new doors actually have power windows that I have rigged to a bank of switches in the center console. I finished the Passenger door today before it started getting dark. Tomorrow is more of the same for me since we aren't working on any houses tomorrow.

The biggest reason I wanted the Tahoe is for the Differentials. The Guy I purchased the truck from swapped out the rear Axle and didn't match it to the front one. Because of that I have not been able to engage the 4X4 aspect of the truck. With winter coming up I really want that functional. Trucks aren't the greatest handling beasts in snow or slush and having all 4 tires under power can only help. As it stands though, this little truck impresses the shit out of me at least once a week. When I brought the Tahoe home the little V6 in her just purred away all the way to the drop sight. This engine has over 200 thousand miles on her and she still runs like a champ.

I only spent $500 for the original truck. The Tahoe was Free for the taking and other than my own time in the work I probably have only dropped $200 in parts since March. I am getting about 22MPG average. Why would I want to drop this truck for a new car with outrageous insurance premiums and about the same performance factor. I am recycling at its most root core and the Liberals that would whine about a hulk of a truck can kiss my country butt on this note. I like my truck.

On the Family side, the Granbehbie is learning to sing. LOL Loudly, off key, and unintelligibly, but she is really getting into it. She hasn't mastered the walk thing yet but she is getting there.
That was the good news, Bad news is my brother-in-law has new tumors in his femur now. They took him off the harder Chemo this week and are trying a lighter chemo more frequently. They are also trying Localized radiation for the newer tumors. All of this was discovered on Tuesday so time will tell how all of this pans out. If you are so inclined please put in a prayer for him and my Sister.
\

No comments: