Well I had mentioned that I was thinking of making a mount for the scope. Here is the result of that cobbling. I had the Picatinny rail and some rather unobvious parts. Add together an inkling of Machining knowledge and a good pair of digital calipers and you end up with this mess. lol
I really wish I had a better camera. I would like to get some close ups of the action with the bolt open and how the whole set up lines up on the Receiver.
SO,,, How did I do you ask? Considering I do not have a work shop nor a good work bench(I mounted a vise on my desk LOL)I think I did quite well. I took it to the range today to sight it in and from 100yards I did have to makes some adjustments. I had to bring the scope up about 15 clicks(1/4MOA per click) and right 4 clicks to get on paper after that it was pretty straight forward.
fact of the matter is I am still not a scope guy. It was nice to see some really tight groups out of a 70 year old Military Rifle but I think that I will go back to iron sites. Hunting here in the hills of Ohio(which I wouldn't be able to use this rifle for) and in Kentucky I probably wouldn't be making any shots over 100 yards anyway. If I were to go shoot at Camp Perry I would be using Iron any way so,,,,
Still it was a fun project and I learned some things in the process.
Silver tipped Bulgarian ammo is Corrosive and hella accurate in comparison to the Russian stuff I had been shooting.(kinda figured the corrosive part but you can Really SMELL the difference on this stuff. almost burns you nose when the wind is in your face)
The Muzzle brake on the SKS rocks. I know that the SKS doesn't have much recoil to begin with but this made the little rifle much more responsive. Without a recorded comparison I am going off of my experiences but it seemed to me that I was able to acquire my targets faster since there was less muzzle climb (like near zero!) It looks a bit funny on the end of the barrel but I think that I can get used to it. Heck its not like I actually look at it while I am shooting and I am sure that the deer or zombies will really care if I am shooting them with or without a funny looking rifle. lol
Update: I pulled the whole assembly apart and cleaned and painted the machined parts flat black. I will be taking it back to the range for further testing. Was quite impressed at how well it all stayed tight even with over thirty rounds through her in sighting in.(I really needed a spotter for the initial sight in) All in all not too bad of a job for a 'sporterized' rifle (IMHO)