Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Belated range report.

Long story short (to start) I love the Guys at the gunshop I frequent. Better customer service couldn't be had.

I ended up returning the M-44 today after work. When at the range I was unable to get that rifle to hold any form of a group. Double and triple checked to make sure that the sights weren't loose, put it in a bench rest for 5 rounds to verify that it wasn't bad form on my part, every single problem solving trick that Myself and a couple of other guys could come up with.
When I came home I went ahead and made a lead casting of the bore to at least get some idea of where we were sitting before I condemned this rifle. Using a micrometer there was less than .001" difference between lands and grooves. Not being one to stop there I took a round from stock and removed the bullet and forced it through the barrel to inspect the rifling directly on a round.

There weren't any.

I took my findings to the shop today and other than refilling out the paperwork they exchanged it for me. We sat around scratching our heads over this one since 'by sight' the barrel looks pristine. The Micrometers don't lie though. That was one worn out rifle. We took an 1891/59 that was on the shelf and made a casting of its bore and compared the two. HUGE difference! .005" more than the casting I had made from the M-44.(I brought home that particular rifle too. Will take it out this weekend.)

I am just glad that I didn't have to pay the "caveat emptor" tax today.
To Mike and Don. Kudos. You have a customer for as long as I live in the area.

Lesson learned, Visuals are not always the truth. Micrometers don't lie and your eyes might.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's good to have people you can trust in the gun business. Russian rifles often display some surprising differences in bore diameter.