Sunday, June 7, 2009

Stiff and sore.

I guess I am not the young buck that I still think of myself as. Spent 6 days on the jobsite this week and now I am feeling a little beat up. LOL Well its like anything else in this world. It can only make you stronger if it doesn't kill you.

Today at the range I was much happier with the new firing pin and spring set up. I wasn't so happy about my performance but considering how I feel after this week I am not one bit surprised that I shot fairly crappy. No pics but I would say about 50% in the black and all of it on paper.

Had a couple of light strikes that failed to fire. This is easily curable with the old hammer spring. I didn't need it with the old firing pin spring but the new ones are quite heavy in comparison. These old Berden primed cartridges are hard. I sometimes fear using the U.S. made ammo since the primers tend to be quite a bit softer.

I have shot some Remington SP out of this rifle before and it tends to be quite a bit hotter in the load than the Milsurp stuff. It may be age or it may also be that newer powders have more power. I dunno. If the cases were reloadable I would consider reloading and working up a charge I like. The other side of the coin is that this is a rather "cheap" military rifle that was intended for getting rounds down range and not for laser style accuracy. She is more the middle ground between a bolt action and an AK. She's no sniper rifle by anymeans. LOL I sure try to squeeze as much out of her as possible though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Different countries load to different specs. So you can get the same round, like 8mm Mauser, made by five different countries and you will get five different muzzle velocities. Some countries load ammo for automatic weapons with much harder primers than ammo intended for semi-autos. Bulgaria comes to mind, because some of their Tok ammo made in the 1950's was designed for submachine guns, was very hot, and was blowing up pistols here in the states a few years back. I myself bought some Portugese .308 that was made for their machine guns, and it would not fire in a rifle, period. Things get crazy.

Anonymous said...

some Portugese .308 that was made for their machine guns, and it would not fire in a rifle, period. Things get crazy.
_________________________

And this is one reason why a future black market could be hazardous to the amateur.