Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Housing Diogenes Style.

I have been contemplating my next house for the last few months. After having been a home owner and now living in an apartment again after five years I find I really miss the solace of having things to do around the place. There is a certain amount of pride that one achieves as a homeowner that just isn't available to the apartment dweller.

I want to build my own place this time. (double pride points! :) ) So I have been investigating "micro-homes" and their ilk. I am looking at something around 800 sqft for the main living quarters. I am quite spartan in my ways and do not need much in the way of living space. I am wanting something separate from my work space though as my "projects" tend to develop fumes that really aren't conducive to healthy living.(Welding, woodwork, Fiberglassing etc)

So here are some of my ideas. I am quite partial to this one since I do have a granddaughter that may end up spending time with this old coot. I could set the Loft up as a spare bedroom for her, and leave it that way for guests as well.

I fully intend on making this an Off-Grid house though that will have to come with time. I am currently researching manufacturing Power generation units(wind or micro-hydro) and Solar heating. If I end up making the move to Wyoming I would have the advantage of Geo thermal also(I had thought about southern California for some time in the 29 Palms area but, well things have changed out there and lets leave it at that.) Since I am such an Internet Junkie I have looked into Satellite Modems also.

None of this has to do with the whole global warming thing either. I really like the idea of being self sufficient. Even the idea of some gardening has been in place and While I would like to learn more I think it will be one of the learning curves I have to thrust upon myself when the time comes.

Key things I am looking for though. Isolation from large cities(you understand that don't you Hermit? lol) and Mountainous terrain.(better for the micro-hydro idea but not essential to the end result.)

I have some time though. No hurry on this as it will be my last Residence in this lifetime and I want it to be perfect.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you. You'll need some storage if you move out into the bush because you can't afford to drive for supplies very often the way things are today. 800 feet is really small, are you sure it will do? Of course, if there's just you it might be fine.

Diogenes said...

The living quarters are fine at 800sqft. My current apartment is 16X16 including the bathroom and kitchnette. I have grown accustomed to "tight" spaces.

On the other hand I plan on putting a 40X20(maybe larger not sure yet) pole barn there too for the Workshop and storage so space won't be an issue.