Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Joys of a 55 Year old Milsurp Rifle

Don't get me wrong. I really like my SKS: there are times though where I wish I had saved and scrimped more for an M-1 or an AR-10 (I prefer the .308 round) or some other longer range weapon.
Today at the range was enjoyable though. It always is for me. I took to shooting like some do to sports. My only weakness (and I think most have similar) is the standing position. I can do it but not with any real accuracy.

So why am I being sarcastic? I had two Popped or Peirced primers today. One the Primer blew into the carrier housing and jammed me up so I had to do a field strip to get it out. The other one just filled my face full of smoke.(luckily the round cleared the barrel. It hit the creek at 50 yards so you probably could have snatched it out of the air it was moving so slow.) Granted neither of these things is the fault of the rifle but of my using 30+ year old ammo. The problem with the rifle was caused by the blow back of that last popped primer. The gasses cooked the firing pin spring and the firing pin bent during the extraction. Not a big problem since the parts are only $40 from Murray's in Texas. Thinking that it might not be a bad idea to order two and keep one in the cleaning kit "just in case".

This was todays results.(Target size is 11 1/2 X 17". At 250 the sight post covers the whole thing up. LOL The black Bullseye is 8"dia.) This is about the limit of this little round. 250 yards from a supported prone position. After 250 yards though the 7.62X39 peters out pretty quickly and starts to drop like a stone. The Ballistics chart show a drop of almost 5 feet at 500 yards.

I was going to go to the gun show today but decided that I need to concern myself with other endeavors for now. I have a good source for Milsurp ammo and that is one area that I really need to concentrate on for some time. I am thinking about getting a bolt action Mosin Nagant and this place carrys that round too. Who knows, I may run across something even better and jump on it the same way I did the SKS.

In other realms of the interwebs, Mike over at Sipsey St is hammering the mouse and keyboard today with lots of good articles and links to other good articles. I spent about 2 hours over there before posting here. Go Enjoy. Talk more tomorrow.

4 comments:

Ryan said...

The SKS isn't a bad rifle though I prefer the AK. If you hunt around G3's can be found from time to time in the $700 range. A grand is more realistic for the assorted battle rifles except the Springfield M1A.

Anonymous said...

That sounds very strange. Have you head spaced the rifle? Has this ever happened before? I'd sure either pick up a set of gauges or have a gunsmith put a go/no gauge in it at least.

Diogenes said...

Actually I have had the headspace checked. This is not uncommon on these due to the nature of the firing pin. It is rare though. In over a thousand rounds I have only had that happen these two times I did notice during tear down that a lip had developed on the face of the bolt near the firing pin hole. Murrays has a great document on that issue. This lip is probably what actually peirced the primer.

Anonymous said...

Well, thank heavens that SKS parts are cheap. You can replace the bolt then. I usually suspect some kind of headspace problem when you get pierced primers, but clearly this is just a bolt replacement issue.