Saturday, May 9, 2009

LAZY and no Excuses

Its been a couple of weeks since I last updated. NO EXCUSES.

Unless you also show that I have spent the last week trying to get a truck with a FUBARed clutch back on the road with little to no money. LOL the advantages of being a McGyver are an untold advantage when you're BROKE.

So today despite weather reports claiming absolute Crap weather I went to the range. Its been since April 22 since I was last there and I had done some more fine tuning to the SKS trigger assembly. So here is the report of that.
(note: I was good. I didn't go hog wild with blowing Ammo down range. Just enough)

Key notes on rifle. removed one more coil off Trigger spring during hiatus. Rifle had been knocked off wall by Rude neighbor that can't figure out how to close a door and not slam it. In fall it 'dinged' the rear sight enough to bend one ear. Fixed this and prayed that it wasn't completely screwed.

Two Targets at 100M. 8" black splatter type. Firing Wolf black box so I am not expecting tight patterns. 15-25MPH gusts from left rear. Line is cold.(on a saturday WOOT!)

First round. Click!
Dammit. Now the trigger spring is too light and not hitting these damned Berdan Primers hard enough. Clear the chamber and check the round. No other issues so I reload it first in line to try again.
BOOM! Now thats what I wanted to hear. 3 clicks left and center.
Next round fires no issues. again 3 clicks left.
Go ahead and finish off that mag while the wind started picking up. One thing that I don't like about this range is that with the Berms cross winds can actually effect elevation too. The last 4 rounds out of the mag are 2 inches right and 7 inches High. This isn't because of a trigger jerk either. I know the difference. Reload a mag and the wind drops off.(at this time two 'shooters' arrive)
Target 2 back to the same area I was at before the wind. No its not the rifle or me getting 'jerky'. Call a cease fire so that new shooters can set up and I can change my targets.

Long story short. in the next HOUR I get off 2 20 round mags in rapid fire and target acquisition while 'Shooter Boy' 5 spaces down monkeys with his scope that he didn't set up at home. I am trying to be nice since during cease fires you have to leave the rifles 'bolt open' on the bench while you step behind the line. After one hour and this dude hasn't fired one shot I decide that I am done. Done being nice and done shooting for the day. Cease fire! I get flipped off.

Least to say we both left at the same time. The range master saw it and gave this guy the Boot. I didn't have to say a friggin word.

Rule one. When going to the range have your shit ready to use. If its not DON'T do it on the line. Thats just friggin rude. Granted I had a 'light trigger' going on but I didn't stop shooting. ( 5 FTF's in all and all of them fired second time through. Added two spacers to the trigger spring when I came home to bring the tension back up. Will recheck laters and take a couple more with me 'just in case')

Meanwhile in my Home life, Still unemployed and now going on the Public Dole. Not a proud moment in my life. Discussion on it can be found here.

David Codrea is asking for some sympathy that I am willing to lend to the best of my abilities. When you get a chance go check him out at Examiner. Going to set up a link in the side bar for future use (when and if this blog takes off LOL )

No comments: