Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Range Trip

Since my last range trip I made a couple of modifications to the SKS. I recrowned the barrel since I noticed that the end was slightly deformed when My Neighbor knocked it off its hanger. I noticed that it had changed in windage but hadn't equated it to any damage to the barrel.
The other modification was in the firing pin though that shouldn't effect the ballistics of the rounds. This mod is only to insure that I don't experience the notorious slam fire that the SKS is known for. I added a spring to the pin also to insure that it returns to nuetral position each time. Sorry, no picks since my camera completely sucks on close up picks. You wouldn't have been able to see anything meaningful anyway.

Goals for this trip. Insure that the rifle is functioning correctly first and foremost.
Second is to shoot 10-20 rounds of each type of Ammo that I have and compare the results. The reason behind this: to determine what type of ammo I will prefer.
I have available Hungarian Milsurp. Czechoslovakian Milsurp and Russian Wolf black box. I Can get any of the three fairly easily though the source comes and goes at times. I know that the Wolf ammo is not the greatest and I hope to prove that the actual milsurp stuff is better even though some of it is nearly as old as the rifle itself.(haven't yet had a Dud round that wasn't caused by me changing things in the rifle. lol )

So off to bed with me so that I can get an early start and get my shooting in before the range gets busy.

No comments: