Sunday, May 17, 2009

Marksmanship

The Hermit has a post on a book that I haven't read since 1990 when I was on float to Kuwait. Excellent read for those that did and those that didn't/haven't served.

One of the points in the book talks about time on the rifle range. This is a key point to being a Marine. They don't fail you for not shooting expert but they strongly encourage it. The one thing that was noted then (in the book) and was noted in 88 while I was in BootCamp was that the southerners and the 'hillbillies' were more often than not(by a large margin) the ones that took expert.
Why? I think its more that we are more comfortable around firearms than most. We grew up with them and for many of us our first big gift was a firearm of some sort. My first 'gun' was a daisy BB gun and it only grew from there.

Even today I keep either a pump pellet gun or break barrel pellet gun around. They are my 'trainers' for helping teach the basics to new shooters and they reinforce proper habits on veteran shooters. Some may prefer the .22 for this but not me. The pellet 'hangs' in the barrel longer on an air rifle and forces you to hold position steadier for your follow up.

For those that would like a refresher on the basics HERE are some links to an old Army training film. They cover the basics of position, site picture, windage and elevation adjustments, proper shooting technique, calling your shot, and Proper sling usage. (I go back and forth on the sling but tend to use a 'hasty sling' since it does help, especially in the higher powered rifles.) One other advantage of using air rifles for training is in locations. Most cities will frown upon firearms usage in the city limits. With an air rifle you can set up a decent backstop and shoot out to 25 yards and not get looked at funny(well not by the police anyway). 25 yards is fine for getting the basics down and learning to get 'zeroed'. The real training comes in play at the 300 and 500 lines but if you don't learn enough at the 25 you are wasting time and ammo on the others.

An excellent Air rifle for Plinking and Critter control is this one. You can sometimes find them at Wallie world for the same price. Dual caliber .177 and .22 so practice can be cheap and still have the ability to use this on critter control. I use the .177 for target practice as the bullet travel is comparable to a regular rifle and the .177 is dirt cheap. The .22 is powerful enough to take larger game in hunting if you use the right pellets. I haven't personally tried it but one person claims to have killed beaver with this pellet. Pictures say a lot and his are no exception. Cheap practice is still good practice so long as you practice the right things. THE BASICS. This is a great way to stay on top of good shooting and with the right purchases you can get some High quality shooting in for under $200. (side note: For those, Like me, that prefer Iron sights; there is a peep sight for this rifle available that is similar to that on an M1)

One thing I found 'funny' today about that post is that I was looking at a new (well new to me) Long range rifle today. I have been bouncing around on some and keep looking at some of the Communist bloc rifles. (only because of budget not desire) I am looking at this and this. Now I am partial to Semi-automatic and always have been. Both rifles use the same ammo and it is comparable to the .30-06 in range and power(and has the benefit of being available AND relatively cheap) All of this is going to have to wait till I am working again but I can plan now.

Disclaimer. I do not have any affiliation with any of the links posted other than knowing quality products on a budget. I do heartily reccomend them through experiance though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a club up here that has their own range, and they only use air rifles. Some of those cost more than a good target rifle that fires .22

I stopped by once and took a look but I'm up to my neck in my gun hobby, don't have the scratch for a new one right now.

Ryan said...

For the price of that Druganov knock off you could get a lot of different guns. Lots of bolt guns, garands, and if you shop around maybe a G3 kit gun.