Sunday, May 24, 2009

Answers then questions.

Hermit asked in a comment what kind of shows I do. Well as a musician I am a bass player but that is such a foregone skill that I doubt I would be able to carry a tune now; now days I am an “audio engineer’ aka The Sound Guy for pretty much whatever comes across the stages that I work. I was a touring Audio engineer for several years in theater (black Gospel plays) Rock n roll (kind of a shotgun definition there) and varied local and semi national events dependent upon what the Sound company that I worked for picked up along the way. From George W Bush to Malcom Jamal Warner I have had something to do with entertainment and Political sound since 2001.(further back than that but that was when I broke onto the national scene.) Usually one offs other than the occasional tour.
Bush in Troy Ohio 2004 campaign. over 100,000 in the crowd. 2 day load in for a 20 minute speech. We were TIRED after that one.

Now here is my dilemma: I retired from the sound scene 3 years ago to attempt (and Fail) at saving a relationship; lost a lot in the process including a house and my dogs. Now I am approached by the manager of a Regional act that has potential; they are asking me to go back out on the road to bring these guys up out of the mess of other potential national acts. They are going out on the Van’s Warped tour and will be out for roughly 2 months with the potential of picking up Follow up tours in the fall. These tours are bus tours typically but I do not believe this band is “Bus potential” yet so they would be in a Van till they proved a following. Here is where the real issue is for me. Its not the Van/Bus question. Both have a lot of downsides: the bus only makes them more palatable. My issue is that I am now awake to what is going on in this country and when you are on tour your whole world is what is behind that backstage door and leaves little to no room for ‘keeping up’ on current events. I am not worried about maintaining a relationship obviously since I am still single. I have a rather cheap apartment and a Good Respectable landlord so living here on the interims wouldn’t pose a problem.( just blows paying rent on a place that you ‘sleep’ in once or twice a month.) (another thought brings the question "how much is the promoter just blowing smoke up my butt?". Wouldn't be the first of that situation.)

Another aspect of this equation is my education. When I quit the road the last time I went back to school for IT. I wanted to do something with a fixed schedule and have a ‘normal’ life for once. Now I have been doing this IT schtick for about a year and half though the bottom seems to have dropped out with the economic situation. I am on the short end of the stick too since there are more out there with more experience than I in a flooded market.
Guessing I am going to wait and see. Things are going to fall in place one way or another and I shouldn’t be losing sleep over things out of my control

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's never simple, is it? My son went to the Art Institute of Vancouver and worked his ass off in the Game Design discipline. But there are no jobs out there in that field unless you are connected to a game company in some way. The school neglected to point this out to us when they were telling us what a great field it was.
I guess you have to do what you have to do to earn a living. These are the worst times I can remember and I've been around a long time.
I think worrying about what to do and how to do it is entirely human. I do that constantly. Life is fluid,changes all the time, and you never get to stop reacting to the latest development.
My daughter wants a career in music in the worst way, but it seems very tenuous and risky to me.
What isn't, these days?