Tuesday, July 7, 2009

cheapy shopping trip.

Had a pleasant surprise today while out shopping at one of my favorite stores. Army/navy stores are a far and few item in this neck of the woods. Probably because the nearest base is about a 100 miles away. The one nearest me has been all but wiped clean of any gear for sale(enough that they jacked the price on Ammo cans up $5 to $15!!! WTF?) I found some surplus Israeli ammo pouches that looked like they may hold the SKS ammo while on stripper clips. These were the canvas style in desert sand and not in bad shape and the price was pretty reasonable at $5 each. I went ahead and picked one up since it didn't look like anyone else was making a move on them and figured if it didn't work for my needs I would make it work elsewhere.(no return policy at this shop.)

Surprise! It worked perfectly and holds 10 clips full of ammo. Will be back to get another this weekend.

I found that the bandoleers for 7.62 NATO work for the 7.62X54r ammo on stripper clips just fine. each pocket holds 10 rounds same as the NATO ammo and each bandoleer holds 60 rounds. I can buy these for a buck apiece at the store I buy ammo at. They unfortunately do not have the stripper clips for the Mosey so I have to go online for those. The Russian ammo pouches for the Mosey only hold 15 rounds per pocket in clips or one box of 20 rounds per pocket. Seems that the bandoleer will be the fall back of choice with the pouches holding boxed for reloading clips.

Update: Spent an eveing practicing loading the 91/59 with the stripper clips. Now have a method that works quite well using nothing more than the original Tool for checking the firing pin depth. FYI: place the stripperclip , place the tool as far back on the rounds as you can and push. Like butter dripping off a hot biscuit those rounds are in the magazine. Kind of a pain having to have something else in the mix to ease it up but we all know its much easier to load using the clips than singly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always liked surplus stores. You can find an awful lot of useful gear there for reasonable prices. Flea markets are good places to look too. There's one a couple of hours from my place, it's all Mexicans and you have to speak Spanish, but there's a surplus shop there with lots of good things. Ammo cans, either the big one or the little ones, are $5.00 in unissued condition.

Diogenes said...

Its funny but I purchase most of my ammo cans at the U-Pull-it place. The owner bought a HMMMV through DRMO and had to take the "lot" that the Hummer was in. It was about 3000 ammo boxes and ammo cans. I like the 105 howitzer boxes for larger storage of things like tools and house stuff.