Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Book Review.

Have you ever had the feeling that something was 'not quite right' but couldn't really figure out what? This book may show you what that something is. Sometimes the issue is much bigger than you realize.
Starving the monkeys Press.
I picked this up a week or two ago and have been pretty much absorbed by it since.

Good points: Tom Baugh has many good insights into what is going on in the world and expressing ideas in ways that are easily understood.
I would recommend reading this book despite what some reviewers are saying about it(propaganda etc) and make up your own mind on it. I did and I am quite happy with it.
Bad Points: There is a lot of information in it and pointers to more information along the way. This isn't bad unto itself, I am an information junkie. What makes it bad will be dependent upon your point of view. In my case, it showed me how far behind I really am in certain areas.(this is also a positive since now I know that, and can start correcting it.)

Tom shows, with proof, just how diseased our society really is; How it is a common affliction that recurs in every society throughout time.
He doesn't really have a solution for curing the problem. I note that his 'cure' really isn't that at all but a foundation for rebuilding after the fall. This is all well and fine as I think many are starting to realize that the only solution is complete change. As much as that is a disappointing thought, I am starting to believe its a fact.

Fact of the matter, this book made me even more angry. Not at the book, or its writer. More at the society that I was raised in. That may seem harsh but that is how I perceive it. I realized that I was short changed in the education department long before I really started learning. I never really had good grades(average for the most part) and was continuously bored with the regimen. The only time my grades improved were when I was in a course that challenged me. Of course hindsight is 20/20 and I leave no one to blame for it: I am now taking the steps to 'catch up' to where I feel I should be in the curve. This is something that I have wanted to do for some time now. Now I have incentive to get off my duff and do it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like something I should add to my wish list on Amazon. Alas, the list grows longer, as I add to it but only buy one or two things a month to shorten it.

Diogenes said...

Ditto.

Partly why I put the list up there on the blog. Maybe my family can help out that way and not bug me about 'what do you want this year?' LOL