Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Slow posts, nothing political today.

But, I do have something to show along with some advice to others.


The above is obviously a cheap Nerf style football. As you can see, there are more than a few holes in it. This is what I use for pistol training. It really reinforces target acquisition. Being only 8" long and 6" at its widest point, this is plenty accurate enough for self defense training. Being round-ish, it reacts quite well to being hit, forcing you to shift positions often enough that you begin to 'point shoot' naturally. This is what I recommend to anyone that is serious about learning what they and their tools are capable of. One point of advice though, your range area MUST have high walls, especially if the ground is hard packed. I noticed some ricochets in the trees while shooting. Luckily, I was in a valley that is also a old strip mine: No harm no foul.

The point is this: No matter what tool you are using, LEARN IT! Know every aspect of that tool that is humanly possible to learn. Know your limits, the tools limits, and learn how you can stretch those limits to near breaking: especially your own. There may be a time where knowing ANY tool is going to be the break point in success or failure. This goes for Pistols, rifles, saws and hammers, even a needle. If you don't know how to use them to the best of your ability, you may find out the hard way that you needed to know.

The above football was shot at from all different angles, distances, and speeds. The only common aspect was 230 gr FMJ .45 rounds from a 1911 clone. Some of the shots were as close as 7' and one full magazine was from 150'. The lions share were from about 50'. With the reactivity, I still managed to get full hits about 66% of the time, even the misses were close enough to get the ball to bounce. That to me is 'good enough'. I am not a competition shooter, nor do I intend to compete, unless the competition is for my life. When the competition comes about, I fully intend to be the best. That is a position I think we should all take to heart.

Now, I mentioned in my last post that there may be an alternative housing setup in progress. And there is, I am working an acquisition of a tow camper to set up on my property. This will either accelerate my building points or I may decide that a camper is also "good enough". Either way, I will have a roof over my head, I do intend on putting up my workshop no matter what route I go here. There is still much that needs done, but this will give me some relief and options.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good points made above. Being aware of how far you can shoot 'pretty accurately' with your handgun is useful information. You may be forced to keep some heads down at range and not having your rifle at hand, at least you can do your best to keep some others safe from hostile fire.

Mayberry said...

Just tack a "carport" on the side of the shop and park the camper under it. That's my dream setup!

Diogenes said...

Anon: Keep practicing. Never a bad Idea.
Mayb: The more I think about it, the better that idea sounds. I don't mind working hard or the spending of funds to get a house. Still, the idea of being able to 'up and go' at the drop of a hat(or the sound of a collapsing society) is tempting.

The only thing that holds me back are my tools. Even so, I have the knowledge to reproduce them in short order if needed. The advantages not falling prey to the "I can't do that" attitude.