Sunday, September 27, 2009

Laying low. watching the cash flow (away)

Not really that bad this week but I am buying a rifle that is a bit pricey for me so I am laying low to stretch the cash out some. I had planned on doing work on the truck this weekend but the rain has pretty much dashed those plans onto the rocks. I still need to finish getting the axles pulled off the old one and I have a feeling that I am going to be taking a day off this week to make that happen. The winter weather is coming on fast this year. I don't want to get caught in the snow with slipping axles.

Been doing research into the Dragunov styled rifles the last couple of days. Watched a Youtube of a guy shooting one and have to say that I am impressed at how much recoil is absorbed by the cycle spring on this type or rifle; very little muzzle climb in comparison to the Mosin Nagant. No takers yet on the Mosin Nagant either. I may end up having to sell it at a store or take it to a gun show and take a loss on it. I have thought of keeping it but I just can't get around 'not needing three rifles'. I won't give up the SKS since she is just too utilitarian for the environment I live in. I don't really need the Dragunov either but I do want a competition rifle and the SKS just won't reach out to the distances I need for that and the Mosin is limited by the magazine and bolt along with hardware that I can install on her. The only upside of the Mosin is heavier bullets. The Dragunov doesn't like the heavier grained bullets in the soft point class(that I would want to use for animals like deer or larger). I started looking into reloading so that I can get the bullets I want for this rifle. If I start that I will seriously consider going down to one rifle. Till then the SKS stays and I have my hollow points for hunting with that. I don't ever see me shooting anything past 150 yards while in the Appalachians though. Too much cover so no need for the 'big guns' like a dragunov. Now if I move out west or to Texas; well, we will have to see. I would like to get the Dragunov out in the desert to stretch out and see what I could do with it. LOL I am such a shooter geek.

On the Political Front I am going to keep my thoughts to myself for a bit. Too many things have happened, been said, contradicted, etc, etc, for me to be comfortable with the directions we are headed. To wit, I have a friend that is in the same boat and has offered a direction to head if things get really funky. Its greatly appreciated too.

No comments: