Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Thoughts on Mobility.

This is just a rambling post on thoughts that I have had on my mind the last couple of days.
I have been investigating how to go completely off-grid for a couple of years now and this is really nothing more than an extension of that thought line.
Seeing that Boaters have to be able to operate without landlines or utilities fed through a wire I went to those sites to further my information base. I am thinking that I would like to purchase a small tow behind camper and outfit it with the gear to go off grid. This would provide me with a couple of aspects that I have been craving. Something solid that I can call home for one. The ability to where I please for the other. I wouldn't be tied down to one specific area and if the area I were in started being a trouble spot(such as the one I live in now) just get up and go to somewhere else.

Thirdly it would provide me with my own personal space when I make the move to my dads neck of the woods to build my house.

I have been living in an efficiency for over a year now and have adapted quite well to limited space. I am actually comfortable with it now. Enough so that I look at the apartments I have been rehabbing and thinking that no one "needs" that much space to live comfortably.

I will be looking soon for that little slice of mobile domesticity here soon. And being that I am a handyman I will find it dirt cheap and make it my own. LOL Talking a couple of solar panels to charge the battery bank, an inverter for the stuff I have that can't convert to DC. Little things that make small living an adventure in and of itself. Most specifically new insulation in the walls and sealers for the roof to make sure that my little rolling paradise stays just that.

I am thinking that something like this will suffice so long as it has a head in it. Gots to have a place to do the business ya know.

This little gem (ignore the cheesy ad work. christ! you would think that something that gawdy wouldn't have made it into the ad.) would tow very easily behind my truck, would hold most if not all of my current belongings that weren't already designated to the truck itself, AND be enough that I could give up this silly street address thing.

And maybe I am just pipe dreaming.


We will see.

No comments: