Saturday, July 2, 2011

I hate people some days.

Last night, before I had to head to bed for work today; My Dad and I rescued three young kittens that had been dropped off on our backwater track of road. These poor things were barely weaned when said asshole dropped them off in the middle of nowhere to 'fend for themselves'.

Now that is bad enough to get my ire up. It happens frequently enough around here that My Dad is a well known face at the shelter. Dogs, cats, matters not, if they can't feed it or whatever, they tend to end up way back here. I guess they figure that no one will care if the animal dies alone in the woods.

BUT, what made this bad was the shape of one of the kittens. This little guy had an abscess on his right shoulder. I have spent part of the afternoon in an attempt to 'doctor' him up. Lost cause. He isn't dead yet but its just a matter of time. The leg is already a lost cause. No blood flow to the pads on his paw, the leakage from the open abscess shows muscle AND bone clear down to the rib cage. This thing has been festering for at least 2 weeks. The poor thing wants to be a kitten with his siblings but just hasn't the energy to get off the towel I laid him on.

The best thing I could do for him at this point is to dope him up. Childrens tylenol straight down the gut. I mixed in some e-mycin but I don't expect him to make it through the night. We can't take them to the shelter till Tuesday, and keeping them is out of the question. Besides, its not like we chose to get anymore cats, we are just trying to keep them from dying horrible deaths on the road. IF this little guy makes a recovery, he will have to have that leg amputated. I figure that the shelter will euthanize him anyway since they just don't have the budget to help hardcases like this. My only hope for him is a sleeping death.

I would do the deed but when it comes to baby anythings, I am a big softy. I can shoot a deer but not a fawn. I can shoot a dog or horse beyond help but not a pup or foal. Just can't do it. (and you can call me a pussy for it all you want. Its just not in my nature.) I can make the crossover as easy as I can but I can't pull that trigger on a baby anything(not even a baby snake).

But people; I hate 'em. The bastards that are cowardly enough to just leave a baby to die of starvation need to be shot, repeatedly, with malice and bad aim, and in small calibers without 'passthrough'. Then they should be left on the side of some lone country road without food or water 'to fend for themselves'.
@!@$$(&&&%!!!!!! Grrr. It makes me angry beyond words.

Just my thoughts on how some judgements should be passed on. (eye for an eye kind of thing.)


Ok, rant over, back to 'vet status' for a while.

6 comments:

Shy Wolf said...

Yup, only I tend toward more severe treatment of people who mistreat animals. I'm taking an eye and a leg and arm and teste and...
Shy III
ROFLMBO: WV: 'ratest'

Soffitrat said...

And you know that three legged cats don't live long outside. Good job, Dio. We need to hang onto and savor our humanity for as long as we can. Unfortunately, the time is coming soon, when these things will be but memories.

Spud said...

I too, am of the same opinion about animals vs. people.
Though taking them to a shelter usually is a death sentence. Population control of cats on our homestead was by hawk, eagle, coyote etc. Harsh but real.

Soon the gov. will have "shelters" too for people. We're calling them FEMA camps... After all, are we not just pets of the Elite ?

Hard times ahead for pets in general.

Mayberry said...

There is a special place in hell for animal abusers of all kinds. My "pet peeve" are those asshole "mighty fishermen" who kill marlin and sailfish, bull redfish, big black drum, etc. so they can take a f*%#ing picture or win some damn tournament. If I don't intend to eat it, I turn it loose after reviving it. Those great big fish are no good to eat, and they are the spawning stock that delivers the next generation of fish. Turn 'em loose! With the exception of dorado (mahi mahi), those big ones are fixin' to die anyway, and they're delicious! They only live three or four years and spawn like rabbits nearly their whole lives...

Anonymous said...

You shouldn't give tylenol to cats. It kills them.

Diogenes said...

Anon, As for 'it kills them', in this case, it did not. I don't give adult size doses to cats and I think that is where this myth comes from. Less than 1/2cc diluted 3:1 with distilled water and they only get 1/2cc of that mix.
It knocked down the fever and the e-mycin did the trick. The little guy was up and running around the next day even with that dead leg hanging on him. I washed the wound out with saline about every three hours to help fight off the surface infection and his body was doing the rest inside. I doubt he will keep the leg but the shelter didn't give him the ax when we took them in. He is in with his siblings and seems to be making a full recovery.

Oh, BTW, this is a no kill shelter even though they do get cases where that is the only option, sadly.