Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Back up and running

Being a bit of a computer geek helps loads when it comes to issues of the 'puter type. I am still on the borrowed laptop but have it indefinitely so went ahead and used it to dig all of my information out of the old hard drive. For those that have the will power to learn a little about white-rooming information THIS is an indespensible tool to have in your arsenal. I have used it to recover information from a laptop that had burned up before. I was able to recover about 75% of the information from that hard drive. That was an interesting recovery as I had to pack that Drive in dryice to keep it cool enough to not lock up while pulling off the data to a seperate external drive.

I was able to recover all of the information from my harddrive since it was not the problem with my last laptop. Seems that I am not the only one having 'puter issues either. Mike V seems to have had a major failure too. Granted the way they are making computers today they are nearly disposable pieces of gear. Unfortunately the information we pass around on them isn't so disposable. Hopefully he faithfully backed up his stuff elsewhere. I really want to finish reading his E-novel Absolved. Hermit seems to have had an issue lately too though not directly on his unit, but in the cloud by big brother.

I always work offline when setting up a post on the blog. I don't know what others are doing but that seems to work for me. I also have several thumbdrives that I use while I am working (each dependent upon what I am working on) that I continously back up to. I also have a 500GB external harddrive that is my backup of key information. Key in this case is all of my music and video's, family pictures and personal documentation that I can't lose (taxes etc)

Sadly the technology is also my Achilles heel. I can go for some time without Net access without panic, but it is rather short since nearly all of my banking and bill paying is done via the net. I really need to finish paying off some of these bills so that I can cut some more ties that anchor me down: not just in place but in life. I remember a time when I didn't realize that the net was so expansive. When I actually did things in the real world. LOL The worst part of it is, I can't remember what some of those things were. At least I haven't become so technology dependent that I don't pick up a REAL book occasionally and read by turning pages instead of the scroll bar.

Well, once I am back up to speed on things and have a more 'friendly' setup in this PC, I will post more, but Nothing about Tiger Woods, I haven't a care in the world about the mess that boy put his cock into. His business, not mine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I back up my essential stuff on a 250 meg zip drive. I have a flash drive with 20 meg plugged in but don't use it much.

I do online banking and the like, but the most important thing a computer does for me is keep me in touch with people I'd never have met without it.