Sunday, December 20, 2009

Let the Adventure begin.

Started working on 'Renovating' the Van today. Prepping walls and ceiling for Insulation. I don't want any rust starting up on the inside of the walls after I put this insulation in so I am cleaning up any Scratches and stuff and painting with rust-o-leum. With the weather being so cold I am going to give that a day or two to cure, then start on the insulation. I am going to be using that board style polyurethane stuff with a Silvered backing on it.
I found a pretty good site for "vandwellers" and it has a 'store' that has better prices than I am finding elsewhere. Still I do shop around as I have to stretch every dime as far as possible. My key areas that I am working on are basics like cooking and power for comfort/communications. The cooking I have a solution for that is fairly inexpensive and functional. Heating will be either propane or something similar. With the size of the van and good insulation it shouldn't take too much to keep comfortable. I am worried about ventilation but that 'store' has a solution there too. I only have to make some cuts for it that are going to have to be sealed up but that's what this project is about. My comfort for the road, and not doing it twice.

I won't be doing the solar thing just yet(unless I hit the lottery or some other wild miracle LOL) but I will be making 'reserve power' in the shape of Two Optima blue tops tagged into the vehicle electrics separated by a disconnect so I am not draining the Vans battery while idle. There will also be an "Edison" hookup for a charger that I am adding inline when House current will be available to me. (note: I always crack up when I here house current referred to as Edison current. He wanted to make things all DC and it was Tesla that made AC what it is today. Still, trends continue, most times without reason.)

One aspect that I am trying to maintain is 'stealth'. I want to keep that Contractor/Cargo van look as much as possible. I figure that I will be bothered less if I look like a work truck. I am even thinking about bolting a ladder to the rack for 'camouflage'. Granted I am setting up the rear under the bunk with Tool storage and the battery compartment, so its not a stretch to call it a work truck. I am going to have to consider how to store firearms though. I don't want them to be obvious, but I don't want to leave them behind either. I am down to three at this time. I have been pairing down on everything and that leaves me with my SKS, the PSL and one handgun. Obviously the Handgun will be more accessible than the rifles on a daily basis. Still, how to hide them in the open so to speak.

OK, its late, I am tired, and I am rambling. Will post more later and have pictures to boot. Probably after Christmas. So till then, I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas with those you care the most about. If you have lost someone in your life, think of them in fondness and warmth and know they would do the same for you. God bless.

5 comments:

Ryan said...

Keeping the normal van look makes sense especially if you might be doing some covert urban camping. I like the ladder rack idea. Also it would be practical for all manner of things.

Ryan said...

We can haz pics?

Diogenes said...

I will be posting pics soon Ryan, LOL
I thought a little bit of 'urban Camo' (IE the ladder) would ease the minds of LEO's when I need to go covert. I see vans parked everywhere that are work vans and you don't see the popo knocking on the doors in the middle of the night. Just have to keep a low profile.

Kathleen said...

Diogenes,

Please contact me at hr (dot) alamo (at) gmail (dot) com.
It is about advertising links.

Kathleen

http://alamoammo.com

Please delete this message after you contact me.

Anonymous said...

Diogenes, you doing ok? Hope things are going well.