Sunday, December 27, 2009

Clear skys, quiet out, D.C. is sleeping.

Over at Western Rifle Shooters Association is a post that leaves me chilled.
At the same time though, new music for me to enjoy(new to me anyway) and I have been an admirer of Mark Knopfler for years.

Been doing some of that recently.

One thing that I did get to do over Christmas at my dads was stretch out the PSL.
One fine rifle. I had a tinge of doubt on the accuracy seeing how the receiver is of stamped steel similar to the AK. We took her and the SKS up in the hills to a mine reclamation for some range time. Very impressed. My Dad and my cousin were too. Of course my dad wasn't at all impressed with the SKS. LOL He likes something that can reach out (IE the PSL) and the SKS was a toy to him. He nick named it the Pea shooter on the way down.

Still, shooting across from one ridge line to the other, the PSL did VERY well. My cousin ranged it at 372 yards. The target was a Large block of soft sandstone with a dark surface about 12" across. After 10 rounds, there was a lighter surface remaining. The Steel core rounds are pretty impressive. I took a couple of Pics but with my camera all you can see is a ridge with some rocks on it.
Luckily for me, the scope mount is proprietary to the Rifle. Both my dad and cousin really liked the set up of the scope with its built in Range finder. Its a bit busy when you first look through it, but once you get the hang of it, becomes quite intuitive. It is calibrated in Meters but that turns into a simple conversion in your head. Bullet drop is already calculated in for a 150gr bullet so dialing in is fast. If it were mounted with Rings, They would have done everything they could to talk me out of it.

All in all, was a good Christmas this year. No major drama, other than the .GOV being what it is. Got to get some quality time with my dad whom I don't see nearly often enough. Managed to completely hurt myself on some damned fine Hill Folk Cooking(more than enough to feed a platoon for three days, and it kept coming) including some homegrown Ham, not that stuff you get in the store. Can't wait to get back there again.(hopefully to stay soon)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's as good a way to spend the holidays as any. It was way too cold here to go out shooting. I mostly reload and work on guns in winter.