Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Taxes, Exhaustion, Frustration, Etc.

Wow, what a busy 5 days. As posted earlier, I went back to Cincy for a short period to help putting a roof of my Sisters house. I stayed overnight since it took us so long to finish up. Spent the next morning with my Daughter and Grand daughter. Good times all. I am hoping that her plans to move down here are true. I know I was concerned at one point about her insisting on putting the Granbehbie into public schools. I think she is starting to see the light about how bad of a choice that is. She has been pestering me on Home Schooling and details of such. Glad I have been doing my homework on that as I have been able to answer most all of her questions.

As for the Taxes thing. Had to get the beast registered in KY today. Paying sales tax on a vehicle every year seems a bit steep. Luckily I was able to get the Tax Assessor to admit that my truck in its current incarnation is NOT worth bluebook value. It's a beater that runs and the only show it may win is ugliest truck. I was able to keep my registration under $100 and thats a good thing. Less money for the monkey swarm.
The Frustration comes from the insurance thing. Somehow, my auto insurance doubled in the move. Somehow, even with a smaller population, the rates in this area are MUCH higher. Did a little dickering with the agent, was able to get the new rate dropped about $100 so there is that much more in my pocket. Granted I am still paying the same amount in the long run but I was able to get it where I wasn't shelling out so much at one time. I usually pay once yearly; now I will be paying quarterly. My budget right now won't allow me the wiggle room to be able make one lump payment.


There wasn't much posting on my end as I have been working, Holiday weekend, and lack of net to boot. I see that the world is still turning, that our Gooberment hasn't fallen into the event horizon of astronomic debt(but its right on the edge) and Hurricane Earl was another phenomenal disappointment to the media.(saw that one coming a 1000 miles away) No major black swan event has taken place and America is still on the rocks.

No change is good change at this point.

I promise a bigger post later this week. I keep writing them and then hitting the Mega-Delete button lately. Seems I am in a writing slump.

I think I will write about the building I plan on. While not some tropical paradise here, the size and scope of my design is reminiscent of what Mayberry has posted about. Small footprint is essential to what I want to accomplish. The lions share of my world will comprise of my work shops. The living arrangements don't need to be elaborate.
Think Sparta. Roof, walls, bed and bath. small kitchen and we are there.


Talk to ya'll later.

2 comments:

Mayberry said...

Any more, a stout truck camper looks more and more appealing to me. But had I some land, I'd be building something like that house...

Diogenes said...

Stout being the operative word. Some of the stuff I have been seeing is only a step up from an old refrigerator box with a stove built in. Even so, there is good reasoning about 'going turtle' and having your home on your back so to speak.