Saturday, November 13, 2010

A thought, on Freedom, Liberty, and Responsibility.

So many times do we hear the words above in conversation amongst Americans. Yet how many really understand that the above are not buzz words, or , more specifically, solitary in nature? I hear people near me discussing things that deal with the above, never realizing that they are contradicting themselves. You can't have freedom without liberties, nor can you have either without responsibility. PERIOD. The Freedoms that so many take for granted were fought for and paid for with BLOOD. Maybe not in our lifetimes (and I don't count any war after WWII as a freedom war. No ill intentions to those that fought in them, just a fact. This could be debated all the way back to the Civil War but I digress) but definitely in blood and lives and livelihoods. Those that paid that price, more than likely made the decision without qualms or hesitation when the time came to them. As in anything, there are probably exceptions but we need not view them for this thought. Only the fact that somewhere, sometime, and someplace, someone died so that others could wake in the morning and make decisions for themselves. Those that have joined the military may not always make that choice through patriotism. Most haven't actually. Many make the choice(since we started a truly voluntary military) to better their position in life. Some to get out of the ghettos, or the bario. Others to get away from "seeing the backside of a mule everyday". It really doesn't matter. As anyone who has served(at least as far back as 20 years ago, it was like this) the instructors will instill in the recruit, some sense of belonging to something much bigger than themselves; something with history, national sense of belonging, Esprit de Corps, etc etc.
Most people never really get that in public schools. They teach history but that really can't instill the responsibility that is required to be truly free.
I am not saying that you have to give up a life to be a free person in this world. Not at all, but somewhere, someone will have to do that to make sure that others can stay free. The other side of that responsibility is knowing that freedom isn't even remotely free, even if you don't pay that ultimate price for it. It requires attention to those that would take it away from you. It requires you to accept responsibility for your own actions.

We are at an extremely poor time in our countries history. When the people chosen to (Mis) represent this country, can't even take acceptance of their own failures; we have reached a new level of lows. Maybe these people are truly representative of the American people as they have evolved over the last 200+ years. I won't lie to myself about that possibility. All it takes is a quick glance in the papers to see the deceptions and greed that run rampant in this country, at every level of society.

I know that, again, there are exceptions out there. Maybe more than a few(and I think there are a great deal more than a 'few'.) and that may be the saving grace of this country: near future or not.

I would love to hear thoughts on what others define "Freedom", "Liberty", and "responsibility" as. I know that many of my definitions come from a mixture of Heinlein (the discussions in Starship Troopers especially) various passages from the bible on reliance and self reliance('God helps those that help themselves' kind of thing.)and other places, many of them from our history, others from overseas(Locke, Machiavelli, etc). I have read other writings on "Rights" and what not, I don't want to discuss "rights" as I think there is only one true right available anyway. I want to hear about your definitions of freedom, liberty, and responsibility, as it applies to the prior subjects.
You can post in comments if you wish or you can email me at James Maynard 4 0 AT gmail.com (all one lowercase word with the numerals.) Fair warning, I reserve the right to quote you in a future post, good or ill. You will be given credit unless you request anonymity in your email.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diogenes, I was lookin' for an honest man, just like you and up comes this responsibility cop and he says, "show me your responsibility papers."

Well, I didn't know what to say, not knowing how to spell responsible, but I says, "What's that?"

"Everybody must have their responsibility papers. You're carryin', ain't cha?"

"You mean this thingy on my hip?" says I.

"It must be concealed. It's on your hip where everybody can see it. You're frightening the children! Now show me your responsibility papers."

"You mean something like a concealed carry permit?"

"No," says he. "You must be responsible, you must have a chit, a responsibility chit, show me your papers, bitte."

Exactly.

Mountain rifleman

Diogenes said...

I see some of what you are getting at with that comment, only I am not sure what the intention of it was. Sarcasm or what?

My point on responsibility was meant for PERSONAL nature. Like you with your sidearm show a responsibility to yourself and your family. If a person can't be personally responsible, they don't need to be allowed in public anyway. That was the mentality in the day when honest men DID carry openly and to carry concealed showed dishonest intent.

I don't need some appointed yahoo to determine if I am responsible or not. Nor do I need a damned piece of paper to prove it. That certification/licensing crap is one of the problems with eroding freedoms.

Keep 'em coming, I would like some more inputs on this.

Muddome said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Muddome said...

Freedom and Liberty require a great deal of personal responsibility. As I get more and more upset with the way things are going, I am working towards Freeman On The Land priciples. The responsibility part is educating myself. No one is going to just give us our freedoms. Sadly, we must take them / earn them. That's how our system has become. TPTB don't want us to be free, they need us to keep feeding their system. For each of us, it is our own responsibilty to study the constitution (Canadian in my case) and learn about the law and the tricky language they use. If we don't wish to loose everything playing their game, we must learn their rules just so we can get out.

Personal responsibility is everything.

Anonymous said...

Diogenes, I thought you'd get that straight up, Diogenes being a cynic. Seems he lived under a tub and in the daytime he carried a lantern looking for an honest man. Then the world's ruler asked Diogenes, "Is there any way I can serve you?"

Diogenes answered, "You can step out of my light."

Responsibility is like duty. If you have to explain it, forget it.

There is a definite thrust in this country to form responsibility cops.

The intent was that I don't need any responsibility cops.

A cynic should understand, but there I go being sardonic.

Mountain rifleman

Diogenes said...

The worlds leader was Alexander the Great and he had spent a week searching for Diogenes when that comment was made.

I do know the story, and I am not being demeaning over it. I am a cynic and it shows in that I don't trust anything as it appears. Your words could have been construed in several ways; I was just asking for clarification.

I agree with you on the 'If I have to explain, you wouldn't get it anyway' but I think most that read this blog do understand. I am only seeking to hear variations on a theme to see how others view the world. Guess you could say its a litmus test for me to see where I stand within the realm of reality. Having made several MAJOR changes in my life, lifestyle, location, etc etc over the last couple of months, you could say I am feeling a bit out of sorts. Lack of solid information flow is the greatest downside to where I am at.

Muddome: Yes, personal responsibility is everything. The PTB are a direct coorelation to how that is a dying face in this country. I won't say anything about Canada as I have never even visited our northern neighbor and admittedly am quite ignorant of your world. The one thing I do know about is the lack of guns in civilian hands and that is a trend I really don't wish to see repeated down this way. I like my rifles and pistols and the fact that they make liberal squints sh@t themselves.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I like the enlightening response,

"This post has been removed by the author."

I'm back! Like old times :) Hope your doing good these days.