Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A continuation from yesterday, with some bitters.

Let's talk about PC, politically correctness.

This is a symptom of what is wrong with our world and a direct threat to all the freedoms we (I) believe in. You may ask how that is but I want to go into how it has effected my life recently.

First and foremost, LIFE ISN'T FAIR! I don't care how you look at it, you are given what you came into this world with and you make the most of what you have or can gain and that is that. IF you fail, its on you: on choices you have made, good or ill. Anyone that claims otherwise is after something and it is more than likely, NOT to your advantage.

Here's a quote from Mark Twain to illustrate that point.
The world was here first, it owes you nothing. Count yourself fortunate if you get all you've earned. Count yourself a thief if you get what others have earned. Count yourself a parasite if you believe you're entitled to it.-Mark Twain


I started out this life as a spoiled brat, always trying to get more pampering. I joined the Corps out of a desperation. That choice was the best thing I did for myself. I grew up. I figured out that I wasn't the center of THE universe, but I am the center of MY universe. There is a difference and understanding that makes choices much easier. That is not a solipsist statement either: there is a slippery edge there though.

Enough about my background (the reason I brought it up will be clear) and let's get back to that PC argument. Our society has been growing that cancer for years. Since I was in High School and probably further back than that. Fact of the matter is, PC is an extremely unnatural process. If you go through life not offending things, you haven't any basis of how not to offend. Its negative feedback at its finest. Negative feedback is essential in the proper running of ANY machine. Positive feedback can cause oscillations that eventually rip the machine apart. That is where we are now. The oscillations are building up and starting to fracture the structure of the machine. Soon it will lead to failure, potentially catastrophic. Yet PC thought is forced on us DAILY and has become ingrained in our lives.

Look at how a 6YO boy was expelled from kindergarten for shaping his fist like a gun. I see that as a learning moment to approach the boy and teach him Firearm safety, Not ostracize him, and potentially scar him for life. That is how far reaching this cancer has become. NO ONE IS SAFE FROM THE DISEASE!!!!

Even in my own family, I have found it affecting us. My sister approached me today wanting to talk and trying to figure out what is going on in my head. She had reason as I have been rather scatter brained lately, and that is Really not my style. What angered me was how she was pussy-footing around the issue. If she had came out right and said what was on her mind, I may have been a bit more forward and responded better. Then again, I could have clammed up and shut down on her. The only way to know would be to get some feedback by applying pressure to the machine, not nudging it to see if it would break.

This carries over into our daily lives. So many people tip-toeing around, afraid to say whats on their minds because someone might be offended. As a society, we walk on eggshells, but end up being the bull in the china shop busting everything but that little tea cup we were trying to protect. I have little patience for that attitude these days. Get it out in the open, be up front, and if someone takes offense, maybe they need to look inside and see what teacup they are trying to protect. Is it really worth it or should they just let it break so they can save the Ming vase that is worth it.

Jung had a saying about emptying your cup on occasion so that you can refill it. That is where I am at right now. Two years ago, I sold off nearly all of my belongings to leave a relationship that had done a bit more than turned sour. I walked away from a house, my dogs(and that killed me more than losing her at that point) and a VERY shattered future. Since then, I have opened up the closets in my skull and done some very intense housekeeping. I am starting to see a new pathway ahead. Sadly, the timing of it is out of tune with the "recession" and current events. That is the cause of my scatterbrained nature lately. One minute I have a thought about Me, then something outside pops my bubble and I stumble.(thanks Mike B. for pointing that little tidbit out, it answered a lot of issues lately)

What has really been popping my bubble lately is the whole PC crap I see around me.
Just like with Firearms and Open carry. Someone may take offense that you are a responsible person; responsible for your own life and that of your family, carrying a firearm demonstrates that. Yet they are not. Their insecurity is displayed by fear, and the 'defense' is to mock you (compensating for something? argument) label you as a non-conformist(and in a PC world that is Bad)

Most all of our societal ills come back to that one symptom in some way shape or form. And it all plays to the better nature of Humans as a whole. I think most people want to do the right thing. I know most people only want to be left alone to make their own choices. Those two things are what make us Human.

But we have a disease and I can't see the cure.

2 comments:

http://theelectedretards.blogspot.com/ said...

Great blog I just happend upon it, I will post you on my blog roll. Semper Fi.

Diogenes said...

I like your site. I linked it in my daily reads. Going to be some time but I will be going through your past posts as well.

Funny how it seems that most of the bloggers I relate to the best are Pre-Clinton Marines. I know I got out of the Corps just as the Clintonistas were taking office and damned glad I did too.

Keep up the good work.