Friday, December 3, 2010

Where to start today?

First and foremost, thanks to all for the comments. I may get spoiled if I keep getting that many comments on a post. Guess I need to keep at it more. LOL

Second; This whole Wikileaks thing. I have been idly listening in to the talking heads over it and I am coming to some conclusions on it.
I don't think its what it appears to be. There may be some real meat on the bones of those leaks, but I wonder. Seems the WH has been deathly quiet over it, Hillary is ready to have someones scrotum for brunch, and the CONservative talking heads are screaming "TREASON" at the tops of their lungs. WTF? Maybe this Asage guy is a just a patsy for something bigger running under the surface. Maybe not. The fact that he is shining a light into some of the most corrupt areas of Government is not a bad thing. Maybe there were some security issues that are opened up that shouldn't have been; you have to take some to give some in this instance. As for a Private having access to those communiques, NOT F#$KIN LIKELY!!!! Unless that kid is a brilliant hacker, even if he was "Intelligence", there is no way he should have had access to that level of information. That whole mess screams cover up in my eyes.

On that note though, I will drop the subject. Just one little guys opinion anyway, and we know the rule on opinions.(the one about a$$holes, etc)

Little Product review now. (it is coming on Christmas and I know how geeky some of us are.)
Bought this last week. Love and hate it all at the same time.
Pros: Its nice to be able to have access to so many books at one time. Being able to handle the myriad of PDF books I have on hand is even better. The Screen is perfect, May only be for shade gray display but it works well enough for being able to make out most photographs and perfect for reading. No glare is a great plus. Nearly like looking at paper.
CONS: Having multiple books in one hand can be frustrating, especially if you are trying to cross reference something. Navigation is very simple but the buttons for home/next/back etc are in a rather inconvenient place. Tends to be right where I put my thumb. Grrrr.

My synopsis. I like it enough that it goes with me everyday to work. Great to pick and choose what I want to waste my break with. One the other hand, I am a book geek. I usually have no less than three books open at any given time and bounce from one to the other seamlessly. It may take some time to adjust to not being able to do that with the Kobo. You can switch fairly quickly but its just not the same. This product will never take the place of a physical book, at least, not in my world. As the market for it grows, I am sure that there will be more books available for it. That may make it even more worthwhile. I don't regret the purchase though. 100 classics in one format: that alone was worth the purchase cost.(and not all of them are fiction.)

End note. The Kobo could be a great gift to someone that loves reading, even some kids that may not be into reading that much. The Techie side of it may be enough to encourage more reading in that case.

1 comment:

Mayberry said...

I'm with you, don't know how a PFC would have access to all that. Smells like manure to me... I think the leaks are legit, given the uproar they caused amongst our government stooges. And I think Assange is just trying to shed some light on the crooked dealings of ours and other governments. Big brass balls that man has, because he is now the most wanted man on the face of the earth...