Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Game on

Having returned from the den of beauracracy near my home, I recieved good news. Seems my cousin was an idiot and told the local PTB that he was going to run his business out of his home. This subjected him to having to fall under the commerce codes around here. Private homes only need the Septic systems inspected and that is through the health department. (and I am ok with that as I don't want raw sewage being dumped in the creeks anymore than the next guy)

Now there was a catch with that. Getting an electric tie in will require me to have the electric inspected and THAT falls under the 2008 codes. That inspection is with the Utilities company and not through a state sanctioned office. Fail the inspection, no recourse but to fix it THEIR way.

Seeing how I was planning on setting up off grid eventually, this little SNAFU will only accelerate that plan. And the funny part about that: the base system I am planning on installing is roughly the same cost as the deposit and inspection of getting tied into the grid. This is a no brainer.

SO, Game on. In another couple of weeks, I will be dropping a septic in the ground and things start to accelerate.(would be this week but we need to wait for the ground to thaw out a bit. No need breaking equipment.)

3 comments:

Mayberry said...

Hmmm.... Self reliance, or over priced grid. Tough choice there...

Adventures in Self Reliance said...

I know I had my moment as well on my registration. It's only another $10.00 for the stupidity but in the last year I have had to deal with several ($10.00) rise in taxes of one sort or another. I don't get food stamps or energy assitance or payouts for my housing. I do get a couple hundred for busting my ass and my several back vertabrae in the army and SSD I paid into as insurance for 100% disabilty. Now I'm told is an entitlement, and I simply paid a tax. I saw the last quarter off TARP in Idaho was equal to $132,000.00 dollars plus. for 1 quarter of D.C. spending. What do we get a funking train and an Amtrak drain on the state taxes.

Diogenes said...

Growth in taxes is nothing new. Once they start, they won't stop until a LARGE group gets together, either in power or on its doorstep, to say "enough is enough".

Seeing how 95% of this country is either on some 'entitlement', or works for the GOV in some way, those of us in the private sector (45% of active workforce now) will only see rising food and fuel costs, rising taxes, and a shrinking paycheck.

I intend to shrink my paycheck after my house is built. This is my 'retirement'. Get out of the system, off the radar, and do what I need to do to get by. Raise my own food and educate my Gkid, start trying to get the next generation ready as best I can.

Think I have a post to put up. LOL