Sunday, February 13, 2011

Terminated buggies

Don't know where or how I picked that little nasty up at but its GONEEEEE!


I am usually quite good at avoiding sites that would load up malicious stuff so I am curious where I managed to get that one.

Little info. It was a panther virus. Normally only gets access through IE and I don't use that at all so,,
What it will do is mirror itself within the API controller for IE. It will also set up a separate drive for its own information. Its a data miner and establishes a backdoor into your PC for other purposes. One of those is to slave your PC for Denial of Service attacks. You can delete individual sections of this bug but it will replicate itself. You have to delete all files, shut down API while you are doing it(you can do this through the Task manager), then run a boot scan to get rid of any cookies it may have embedded(the main reason I prefer Avast Anti-virus). There is a lot more information about it on the nets but it is able to exterminated by the average Joe given a bit of OS savvy.

Easiest way to see if you may have something is to look at "my computer" and see if you have an odd ball drive sitting there. Or just run a system wide search looking for "panther*"

No comments: