Monday, February 21, 2011

Thugs, Bugs, and cartwheels

That pretty much brings my entire day up to speed. And that is just before noon. The remainder of the day was pretty 'meh' otherwise.

Started off working on the truckster. Replaced shocks. (gotta love getting 20% off at work for parts. Especially when I have a truck that has one tire on the scrap heap. I love my truck though. Rather looks a bit like this one.
Without the tow rig of course. LOL


Once that was done, I had to purchase the harness to fix a friends ATV. (big hint: if your headlights are blowing a 10A fuse, sticking a 30A in its stead is recipe for MUCH bigger issues. to the tune of $300 bucks in parts.) and I subjected myself to the Preachin/rants/pleading/pitchman GB. Thats where the thug part comes in. Sadly, nothing new. SEIU is doin its thing. The Prez is showing just how little he understands what being Prez is about by coaching his daughters soccer team today (I won't even go into that one. ) Of course, there are more fires started or already burning in the ME and N. Africa. Things will only spread. These dictators may try to quell 'disturbances' with force but with the speed of communication (most specifically the Net) its only a matter of time before things will fail for them. Yup, same old world I turned my back on last Friday.

I also stopped by the coinstore to up my savings account. Of course, I checked the markets before going as I don't like surprises when a budget comes into effect. Silver is still on the uptick. $1.25 today. Of course that means I bought fewer coins than I had planned BUT that also means that what I already have is worth that much more. A little conversation with the owner was interesting too. He rhetorically asked a question by I had an answer.

O "I wonder where the top of this mess is. It hasn't stopped moving in 2 years."
D " Probably top out when these (holding a $20) will be cheaper to use for Toilet paper than TP is."
O "Ya might be right. Heard a rumor that we may eventually see silver at 10:1 with gold by this time next year."

Think about that. 10:1 with gold. At todays prices, that would make a silver dollar worth $130. (coinage is only .900 silver) Of course, by then, we may not be using greenbacks any longer either.

except as toilet paper.

But on to the 'bugs'.

Finished hauling all the wood I cut up last Friday and split it up. Came up to one cord. Not too shabby for 5 trees. A mix of white and red oak; Good hard stuff that burns a long time. Its now stacked in the woodshed to season. Still have 1 1/2 cords left over from this year so We are good to go. Still have that large stack up near my lot that is curing up yet. Not going to be hurting when it comes time to fire up heat anytime soon. Granted, today we 'cheated' by using the log splitter. Only used about a quart of gas but the labor saving was immense. Ever tried to split Green hardwood with an ax? No fun, I can tell you. There may be a day yet when we are reduced to that method but till then,,,, Occasionally breaking out the ax and using it 'to stay in shape' is ok, but when you are looking at a pile of wood taller than you and wider than three trucks: the idea of using an ax is pretty heartbreaking.

3 comments:

Mayberry said...

Hell, dollars are toilet paper NOW. A hundred bucks buys hardly squat these days compared to what it would buy just ten years ago. Nevermind 50 years ago. Thank you (f*#k you) government and banker criminals...

Spud said...

I have property in Idaho, and constantly am in debate with myself about going back there. Because of the cold ! After SHTF getting firewood will be extremely tough, a person will have to be able to produce their own fuel for saws and a vehicle for transport. Well you say, it can be cut with a buck saw which is true, still have to transport, which can be done with horse or mule power. That said, power tools will draw attention to your locale and horses stand the chance of being eaten by you or the hoards.
Down south here, a winter can be survived without heat if need be.
The biggest problem is the high population in close proximity. Though most of these city boys are more terrified of the woods than they are of the neighbor. So most of them will stay in town till it's too late.
Just ain't no perfect place is there.

Diogenes said...

Mayberry: yup, things ain't what they used to be. Great rant btw. Will comment on your site later.
Spud: Knowing what you vulnerabilities are is helpful. If you aren't comfortable with the sacrifices you would need to make in a move to Idaho, don't move. You may be close to the city where you are but when the time comes, I think you will find a lot of options available to you, given some sacrifice. Better figure it out yesterday though, times are moving pretty quick. Don't get caught with your pants around your ankles (well, anymore than the rest of us will.)