Monday, February 7, 2011

Houston, We (may) have a problem.

As anyone that has been following this blog knows, I moved down here(SE KY) with great angst and the only serious selling point was 'lack of building codes'.(well, and closer to my dad and other family)

Seems that may not be entirely true any longer. Not 100% certain about that, and I will be finding out tomorrow, BUT, if that is the case, ALL of my plans are up for re-evaluation.

Maybe some would say, "Build it anyway, once you have all the inspections done, you are in the clear."

Maybe some would say, "Build it anyway and once the inspections are done, get rid of the crap they 'code' you into and do it your way."

I say "Piss on all of that!" The 2008 building code was written by lobbyists for the manufacturers of various high dollar gadgets that really have nothing to do with "Homes". One in particular. The Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter. This thing is placed into the normal breaker slot in your breaker box. It was designed for use in Operating Rooms, Mines, and various other places that may be exposed to volatile atmospheres. The 2008 code specifies that ALL homes built or upgraded after 2008 have to have all breakers replaced with this unit. They say it is to keep a house safe from electrical fires. IT is supposed to protect home owners from electric shock too.(GFI anyone?) Here's the kicker. A standard 15A breaker is about $10 give or take a buck or two depending on where you are buying it. These AFCI breakers are no less than $80 EACH! Hell, The breaker box for a 10 circuit house is less than that! On top of that, they sometimes confuse the arc generated by motor startup (your vacuum cleaner), or switching on a lamp as the dangerous type of arc. (I would imagine that this gets worse with time as the unit gets more sensitive. Like a 15A breaker that pops at 10A after a few years) I haven't had to deal with one, but I would imagine my MIG welder would play merry hell with one.

The 2008 building code is one thing and one thing only. Revenue Generation. Not only for the city/county/state, but for the larger manufacturers that needed to 'fill a niche'. (rather like the catalytic converters back in the 70's.) Create the niche, fill it, make it mandatory, then work on the fix for the faulty crap you forced on the general public, in the name of "safety" or "the children" or worse, "the environment".

Like I said, I will know for certain tomorrow where I stand on this. Luckily, IF, this is fact, I don't have much more than time and dreams invested in it. I am certainly used to having those shot to shit in front of my eyes; Won't be anything new to me.

IF this is fact, I will post what the changes will be. (and Mayberry prolly already knows where that is headed.)

4 comments:

Mayberry said...

Maybe I do. But I say build what you want, f*#k the "codes". I did that when I built my shop. No "permit", no "inspections", and (GASP!) this "unqualified electrician" installed all the wiring, breaker panel, etc. Seven years later, nothing has exploded or burned down. Never even had a breaker trip. And I was doing "light industrial" work in that shop. Which, by the way, was also against "code". F*#k 'em, they wanted their damn taxes paid, so I earned the money whatever way I could, in spite of their draconian rules...

Diogenes said...

The issue I have is in the property itself, Right now it is completely undeveloped and all it will take is one "taxman" with a stick up his ass to make my little world crash.

I will know further tomorrow. I am hoping I am far enough away from the 'zones' that it doesn't apply to me.

Muddome said...

Absolutely correct. Building codes only serve manufacturers and give all the little whore bureaucrats another taxation tool.

Toaster 802 said...

I wish you luck. You may be able to beat this if you stay off grid for awhile. Then after a bit, have your electric installed.

Worse comes to worse, put a yurt up.