Thursday, June 30, 2011

Community and PT, what a blessing.

LOL Some title eh? It will make sense when you finish this.

Lets start with the PT part. I know many of us are in need of 'getting in shape' in some form or another. Running walking etc, doesn't matter so long as we are able to get a bit further than our original couch butts are/were capable.
The following picture is MY version of a work out. That bar goes by many names: some call it a spud bar, others a tank bar, whatever. Fact is, Its fuckin heavy. Only 50 pounds but when its hot, and you are using it to smash things apart, that 50 turns into 500 pretty damned quick when you are using it over your head. Especially if you are out of shape.(which I am not)



NOW, community. The below pics represent what happens when a community comes together and manages to keep the monetary squeeze out of things. This old horse stable has been sitting here for years. The last horse that resided here passed on about 6 years ago. The house that sits on the property had been abandoned for 3 and it burned last week. The bank wanted the property cleared off or something. Well, the stable didn't burn. The wood here is mostly Oak and poplar but is all good for the most part. There is some rot at the ends near ground but not really all that bad. All of it is rough cut from local trees sometime in the last 50 years (I know the son of the guy that built it and the son is my dads age.)
Well, As you can see, I am knocking this thing apart to salvage the wood. Don't really know its future destination yet but that is not the point. This mess was pointed out to me by a neighbor that knows that I am building on the cheap and told me about it. The fact that it is on abandoned property doesn't bother me in the least. Maybe it can be considered theft but after several years of neglect, I figure the original owners AND the bank have no desire to actually take any ownership of it. Free wood.

Here is the clean up process including removal of nails and cutting off the rot. Yeah, thats a sawzall on the gate. I am running it off an inverter powered by the truck. Cheating? So what. Thats why we have technology. I am still using hand tools (like that monster bar earlier) in the destruction side.




And here is the end result of one afternoons efforts. I didn't measure it out so I have no clue how many board feet I ended up with. I will be back after a couple of days to recover some more (days off that is. Gotta actually earn a living right now.)


As for how this all ties into community is that people around here actually look out for the people that are decent. It doesn't take long to figure out who the scammers and losers are. When a small community numbers in only a few hundred, there are rarely Secrets. It can be annoying but there are more times when it is a blessing. We are spread out but still close enough that if someone has an issue you can usually holler for help. (or start shooting, that always get attention)


Well, time to get back to earning that paycheck. Talk to you all laters.

6 comments:

Mayberry said...

Lucky dawg! Anything like that around here either gets stripped in the dark of night or the city bulldozes it. But don't get caught "stealing" their future landfill...

Diogenes said...

The only "Law" I have to worry 'bout on this end of the county is the Constable. Guess who pointed out the building to me.

LOL. Good wood and other than sweat and worn out feeling, worth every penny and then some.

Shy Wolf said...

Dang, Dio- I see some realy nice cabinets there... but that's just me. Oak doesn't weather well in this cold/wet climate and not used for exteriors. Nor does popple. But, wow- inside is a whole different world.
Spud bar... my shoulders still ache from the last time I used one ten years ago. Nowadays we use generators (cheating) and sawzalls, but when it comes to getting a building down to a 'workable' level fast, nothing beats a couple of skidding chains and four wheel drive.
With free wood- count your blessings. I enjoy going thru the local penny paper and finding the 'building to be torn down' ads.
Shy III

Soffitrat said...

Barn wood! There are people in Dallas who pay a fortune for that stuff. Not much left anymore. Good catch!

Spud said...

Lots better material than you'll find at a big box store. Better price too !

Anonymous said...

I use one of those bars to tamp in fence posts (another glorious duty), it is one heavy mutha after 3 or posts go buy. Gotta pop 4 200 mg. Ibuprofens or suffer the consequences. I'm 48 and a little out of shape (if you consider round a shape, lol), that bar will give your a$$ a workout.

All of those exercise equipment sold nowadays should be replaced with hard tools that build and work the land. Not only get a workout, you are being productive as well.