Tuesday, November 3, 2009

And now for something completely different.

A few years back I was checking out 'cheap living' alternatives and ran across some obscure post for making quick and cheap meals. (I would link it but that particular server seems offline now. My shortcut doesn't work)

To wit, very simply this is simple but healthy foods that require you to not have much desire for gourmet tastes. Simply Rice, wheat, barley, oats what have you.
It requires a Thermos hot water and patience. LOL something that I am usually short on. I made some Oats last night before heading to bed and this morning they were done perfectly. Tonight I am trying my hand at some rice. I am going a little bit further with it as I added a tablespoon of Lemon juice and some cilantro (Ala Chipotle style) and I am going to cook up some meats to go with it.

Really simple and something that can be purchased fairly cheaply. I picked up a back of whole oats (10lb bag) for $4.50. With proper storage this will probably keep me fed for a year ( with the other items) 2/3cup dry stuff makes a full 3 cups of wet. thats three meals if I am not picky about an expansive diet. And its full of good carbs, Fiber and vitamins. No chemicals that I am aware of that I didn't add in(salt being the only thing). Pretty good texture and damned good flavor (unlike the stuff I had been eating that was so processed I couldn't taste the oats, only the 'flavoring') I am going to run with this for a week and see how I feel. I know I need to start eating better; living alone has really dampened my urge to cook properly. That and having little to no counter space but thats another story all together. The downside of living in an Efficiency.

Ok My rambling is over. Back to the grind.

No comments: