Thursday, November 12, 2009

Range day after post.

Rifles are cleaned and put up. Magazines reloaded and stored. Hands don't smell like powder or gun oil. Time for the post report.

First up. Romanian PSL

I have some Soft point ammo from when I had the Mosin. I don't want it to go to waste so I figured I would try it (against recommendations) and see how it does.

I was very impressed. Little change in the recoil aspect and WOW are those things tight. The wind was a factor today and while I shouldn't give that as an excuse, if you have ever been in Ohio you know how quickly wind can change direction. I was trying to stay on it with the dials but gave up and started using Kentucky windage. Still, if you look closely at that pattern, you will count 4 holes. Just amazing for cheap ammo.

Next was 5 rounds of the Chech Milsurp that I have. I was spacing these out about 20 minutes apart for the barrel to cool down. I wanted as close to a cold gun as possible, just to see what I can expect out of what ammo. Here is the result of that.(again, the wind sucked or blew I should say.)


The Next 15 rounds were the Chech Milsurp and I wanted to see how bad if at all this barrel strings shots. These were fired about 10 seconds apart in strings of 5. In between strings I waited a full minute.
Sadly that is about what I expected from the way I have seen this barrel whip around in slow motion video. The drop was from the barrel being warm and you can see the way the rounds spread out laterally (and yes there are more holes there but I was flipping the target board over between runs. All were recorded after sessions.)

One thing about this rifle that irks me though it shouldn't is the metric aspect. One click is 10cm at 100m. that boils down to about 3 1/2 inches at 100 yards. I am constantly doing this calculation in my head (and one reason why I gave up trying to adjust the windage). I would really like to get her out to a longer range to see what she can do but that just isn't doable here. (I will stop whining about that now. ) Once I started using Kentucky windage though I started hitting closer to center more consistently. I always have been more of an instinctive shooter (one reason I prefer iron sights.) and with the graduations on the reticle its pretty easy to do on the fly. (one tickmark for 4 inches is much easier than 3.5)

I didn't take any pics of the shooting that I did with the SKS since I was really only shooting her to have fun. Still, a 12" target at 100yards and everything was in the black. She is running a Techsites, rear aperture with a narrow front post. The rear aperture opens the sight picture up 10" from the original sights so in comparison she is quite accurate to other SKS's that I have shot. This is a rifle I would happily take hunting so long as I didn't have to shoot over 100 yards with her. She hits hard enough at that distance to take down a blackbear and recoil is mild enough that follow ups are a breeze. Hollowpoint ammo is pretty easy to acquire for this gun too(I have 500 rounds of it now).

Maybe one day. (need somewhere to store the meat first.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Within a limited range, all those issues that are bugging you are really only significant from the "art" aspect of shooting. From a practical aspect, it looks to me like you are shooting pretty darn well.

Diogenes said...

thanks Hermit!

I try to not let the .5" pattern types get to me, knowing that anything within a fist sized area is a definitive killshot and within an 8" circle is a show stopper for most cases. I still feel I could have done better yesterday but I won't beat myself up over it either.