Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Back in the running,

I may be the most stubborn person I know when it comes to "broken tools". My truck is not only my transportation but also a tool.(and storage, Home away from home, etc etc)

Well today, rain and all, I worked out what the issue was and fixed the problem. Funny thing, now I am listening for the next break. The Beastie has 200+ thousand miles on her and I know that its only a matter of time before something else breaks. That's just a fact. Luckily there isn't much on this truck that I can't fix myself.

So the fix was something completely simple as it always is. I replaced the ignition module (tested bad) and the pick-up coil (also tested bad) and started getting spark. Still a crank no start situation so I kept looking at the problem to see "WTF?"
That's when I found that one of the leads to my Multimeter was bad.

I went back through the module and Pickup coils that I had removed and they now tested good with the new lead. Lesson learned: Always check your equipment before use. Funny how even after all of these years that one little detail will creep up and bite you every once in awhile.

I didn't pull the new units since they were in place, and with the mileage of the truck, I would rather the insurance of newer parts. I did box the old parts though and put them in the work box "just in case" later down the road.

You are probably barking at me right now to state what the real problem was. I'm getting to that.

Rotor button under the cap.

That was it.

All of my issues I fixed were real issues but they were not the problem. I went ahead and replaced the entire secondary ignition. Cap, Rotor, Wire set, and plugs. To say the least, I was slightly embarrassed by that, having worked on cars for 15 years, I know to check the simple stuff first. Still with the way things were going on Sunday, I found a couple of issues that did need attention and those are now taken care of. I now have a rock solid ignition system all the way back to the Computer(which didn't need replaced) and many of the 'redneck wiring' issues are now corrected properly and sealed against foul weather. Each time I get under the hood of this truck, it gains in reliability. That's not a bad thing.

I am happy to learn that the engine only has about 40,000 miles on it though. While I was at the parts store, I asked about the original owners purchases using his phone number.(he told me to use it for warranty purposes so I am not being sneaky.) He had a Jasper engine put in about 3 years ago. That in my book is a double plus.

Thanks to all that supported me in during the breakdown period and helping me recover the truck back to the homestead.

Message to Hermit. Hang on to that diesel. That is one rock solid piece of machinary with Survival capabilities. Gasoline is going to be hard to get at some point but diesel can be made from all kinds of vegetable oils.

No comments: