Sunday, October 11, 2009

Going 4X4 Part 1.2

To start the story off, I picked up a Chevy S-10 earlier this year to replace the Honda that was my Daughters car. For $500.00 I picked up this beast that was far more redneck than myself. LOL

Well the guy I had bought her from had "done some work" on her that was not really up to my levels of perfection. He had replaced the rear axle on her (and did that well enough) but with the wrong Gear ratios. This throws the whole system out of whack. Wrong speed indications are the least of those issues. (the speedo reads 45 when I am doing 55-60) I haven't even began to figure out the fuel economy to any finite degree because of that. Worst of it though is I am hauling around about 400 lbs of useless metal in the transfer case and front axle because I can't engage the 4X4 due to mismatched axles.

Not anymore.

I now have the axles out of the Tahoe (matched pair) ready to install in my truck. I will still have the Speedo issues but I can live with that: that's what GPS is for. It will really be nice to have working 4X4 during the hated winter season around here.
On that note though. I think that I have taken every single working part that I could off of that Tahoe and installed it or am ready to install it on my little truck. Pretty good deal for a vehicle I received for a song. Easily one of the best things that has happened to me in the last 2 years.

I am still being surprised by my little truck on a daily basis though. For being 22 years old with 200,000 miles on her, she still gets up everyday and does her job. She has done things that I would never thought possible (towing the Tahoe for one) and now that the 4X4 package is being fixed I can see her doing even more. Going to be an interesting winter to say the least.

No comments: