Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A little delimma

I am teaching a new shooter and have a slight problem. This is something outside of my experience and I am kind of hoping that someone stumbles across this blog that may have an answer (Google isn't cutting the mustard on this one.)


The problem is Eye dominance. He is a right handed shooter but left eye dominant. No problems with his pistol shooting but he wants to learn rifle shooting too. Normally I would try to teach him to shoot left handed since his dominant eye is the left but that presents a problem too. He fights the position and ends up switching back to struggling with the right. His form is fine but he is trying to sight in with his left eye and that puts the bridge of his nose right into the butt of the rifle.

We haven't taken him to the range yet for rifle since I am not that comfortable with his form. We have been working with him on dryfire exercises till I feel confident that he isn't going to walk away completely frustrated or with a broken nose.

I will continue looking online but I am hoping that someone has had a similar situation and can help out.

No comments: