Friday, October 30, 2009

News

Phone interview today. Hope to hear something a little more solid soon.

Could use something steady for once. Some say the economy is growing, I think its illusory numbers generated by Economists trying to keep the 'good feelings' afloat nationwide. People know we are in trouble but in denial. The numbers can't be denied when you really look at the big picture. Anyone with experience balancing a checkbook should know that we are bleeding cash faster than we are generating it. Its hard to generate anything when 90% of our economy is based on service industries and not manufacturing. Even 'Intelligent Properties' like Programs, Operating systems, etc are enough IF we have enough of them. Biggest problem is we outsourced so many of these things in the last 10 years we would have a hard time bringing them back to our shores.

Back to the original point of this post. Job hunt. Have been sending out 3-4 resumes a day for the last 4 months and today is only the second call I have received. Least to say I am not holding my breath on this one but it did give me hope. I like being a carpenter but the work really isn't steady enough to count on. One of the points of trying to move and build is to become self sufficient. I have enough skills to manufacture items given a workshop and enough internet savvy to generate a small income from that. I would have the property to raise a garden, areas for hunting in the right season, and family around to keep me company. If I could get my daughter to face reality and move with me I could also help raise the Granbehbie and educate her the way the schools aren't.(she would be the Tomboy, truckdriving wrench wielding, gunshooting envy of all the boys. Just gotta get by Grandpa and Mom. LOL)
Maybe I am pipe dreaming here. Its enough to help me hold out a little longer in a town I despise though. I know My chances of getting ahead are here first and foremost, FOR NOW. Once I hit a point though I will be making that move faster than you can scare a cat. I only fear getting caught in this town when things start getting rough. Getting out could be hairy at that point.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched a CNN news segment with Wolf Blitzer where he was interviewing this immensely fat woman with six chins who was head of the Presidents Advisory Council on Economics. She was all radiant about the "recovery." He asked her what good it did for the wealthy to be making money again on the stock market if unemployment was at a 70 year high. She was very annoyed, and made it clear that unemployment among the peons was certainly not a primary consideration in evaluating the state of the economy. Blitzer pointed out that official government figures show 10% of the population out of work, but that if you include the people whose unemployment benefits have expired, the real number is closer to 20%. She was unimpressed. Her comment was that things would get better for the unemployed in 4 t0 8 quarters. She wasn't missing any meals, that's for sure.

Diogenes said...

And there are few in the roles of 'government worker' that are missing any meals.

I won't say much more on that here though as it is an ongoing debate on Irate Nation that I may copy to this blog at some point.