Wednesday, March 2, 2011

And now for something COmPLetely Different.

Just an update to a past post. This is me at work on that idea I have had.
I titled it "Mad Engineer at work" LOL If you look a bit on the close side, you will note the Shock Absorber body in pieces next to the notebook. Guess what? Recycling at its finest. Can't reuse the shock but I sure as hell can put it's components into use as something else. Funny thing is, I will reuse the fluid for hardening steel parts in other things. (just put them in that, catch it on fire and the end result is 55-60 on the Rockwell scale which is plenty hard enough for Tool steel for turning aluminum)(granted, that MAY get me in trouble with the EPA but ya know, I could really give 2 shits less about it.)


I am going to use the sleeves from the shocks as my cylinders, They are already made for that use, I just need to come up with the pistons. Casting those may be interesting to say the least.

The wood block is actually a piece I put together to cast the actual block out of. This thing is going to have a displacement of about 10 cu inches and IF my math is right, at 500 degrees on the displacer side, will put out about 1/10 horse at 1500rpm. Not too shabby for something made in a home shop.

Now if I can only get it to work. That's the real challenge. Getting it all done right.

3 comments:

Mayberry said...

Awesome! I love stuff like this.

Spud said...

Sure it will work, we have masters in our past that did the hard part. All we have to do is follow their example.
I'm always turning chicken shit into salad. Success is a journey not a destination.
It seems to me ,that you are succeeding.

Diogenes said...

Thanks for the votes of confidence. This is how I try to improve my knowledge and skill sets. Challenge myself with something that is just about out of my range then push till I get it right. A little case of OCD doesn't hurt any in that regard. LOL

Chicken shit to Salads, Good one. Gonna have to remember that one Spud.