Sunday, March 6, 2011

Great DBD addition this morning.

If you don't follow this online comic, you may want to. He 'tries' to cover both sides but you can tell which side he is really on.

Here is the link for DBD
And here is todays comic.




Now, about trying to make a piston through metal casting. I have not one clue how the 'pro's ' do it. I am winging it with a prayer to above on this one. I was trying to set up something where I could get as close to the bore dimensions as I could prior to any actual machining but the material I was using shrank considerably(enough that even a blind man could see it without having to resort to measuring instruments!) Finally decided on making one out of an excess piece of pipe that I am using for the bore. I will use body filler to shape the actual internal pieces to hold the gudgeon pin etc and will only have to machine the outer surface for the rings and final fit. I was planning on that anyway but was hoping to 'kinda cut corners'. I only need one blank as any castings will 'match' each other. The machining is where things can get screwed royally. My brain has been working overtime on how to chuck up a piston without having to set it IN the jaws of the chuck. I think I have a way but won't be for certain until I have one cooled and on the bench. Yeah, probably trying to reinvent the wheel here; thats part of the fun. The learning curve here is part of the challenge. Trying to get parts to do things they probably were NOT designed to do. Manufacturing things to "do the job" etc etc. Feel those neurons stretching out and reaching into the abyss of highschool memories, HOPING they find some tidbit of knowledge long forgotten about.

Once I have the blank to where I am content with it, prior to casting, I will post pics. One advantage to the Iphone, I don't have to email my pics to myself to get them, the data cable is all I need, unlike that other brick of a name I won't mention here.

Iphone update. What the Hell is all the rage about Apps?!?!?! I don't get it. I went online to check them out and found NOT ONE I would even be interested in. Maybe the Periodic table or the Converter program but other than that. Gah!!!!

Are people really that dense that they need to have applications to show them how to breathe? (well they aren't that bad but damned close) I just can't see how they would make a life easier if you are attached to a brick of tech that much more. If you can't use your brain for things (see above) how can you assume the title of Homo Sapien?

Maybe I am just too old school.

3 comments:

Mayberry said...

What's an app? : )

You can't chuck the piston from inside the skirt? Or did I misread that pic of your new toy a few days back...

Spud said...

If your jaws don't go small enuff. Maybe just center drill the blank, then use a straight rod with nuts to clamp the blank. Tap and fill the hole with a threaded piece of aluminum, welding in place.

Cast oversized, machine down to spec's.

Diogenes said...

Small enough isn't the problem. Maybe I am beating myself up over nothing but I am trying to set it up to machine without possible deforming of the skirt. I made a 'connecting rod' last night that has a threaded end on it and will use that to pull the piston tight to the face plate instead of using a chuck for this part.

The faceplate will also be used or boring out the crankcase and cylinder wills. I really won't be using the mill to much or any of this. Guess thats why they called them "engine lathes" eh?