Thursday, March 10, 2011

Gettin a lil sideways

On the way home, I was taking a little backroad to avoid the grandma traffic due to the rain. Funny how I say that since I am in southern KY and traffic down here is similar to early morning saturday traffic in Cincy. LOL
But here I am, scootin down this little one lane excuse of a road along side of a swollen river. Minding my own business, hit a puddle, hit the wipers and all of a sudden; sideways pointing into the river. Correct and the truck starts to spin the other direction but I can tell, NOTHING is grabbing onto anything. Complete 180 later (about half a second) and I am in the ditch AWAY from the river, Thank God, but at a dead stop, looking at my tire tracks through about 6" of mud on the surface of the road. I took a minute to make sure that my shorts were still clean, then put it into 4wheel and pulled my sorry ass out of that hole. One minor ding on the front quarter and a whole shitload of mud everywhere, but otherwise, just a good solid wake up call to me.

But it got me thinking.(and what doesn't anymore) Here we are, cruising down the road of history, desperately trying to mind our own business, and some jack-knob is putting down boatloads of mud on perfectly good asphalt. It doesn't matter if we are doing the speed limit, or trying to keep it down to a crawl, we can't keep the wheels from losing traction and getting sideways.

I was originally going to post about some of my core beliefs but that little spinout scrambled that thought line. It just seems that when things are stablizing, someone or something throws mud under the tires of this country. At one point, it all seemed to come from the outside. Lately though, its more and more coming from internal things. Unions, ridiculous laws, power encroachment, or lack of power where its desperately needed.

With that thought in mind, I think its nearly time to get out of the truck and start making my own way on foot. Let the rest of the country go on down that messy road, and hopefully they don't run headlong into the river, but if they end up in the ditch, I will be along shortly to help get it out. But I won't get there fast.

5 comments:

Mayberry said...

If I had a patch of ground, I'd already be there myself...

Anonymous said...

Would that be ironic? To go just like that? Just before all the fun starts?

Spud said...

Beholding ones demise, can be enlightening.

chinasyndrome said...

Getting sideways. Hell I thought you were hitting the juice.Glad ya came through unscathed! Bro they are dumping mud from Giant coal truck size dump trucks on roads. Ain't jack we can do.Watch it fall.

China
III

Diogenes said...

Mayberry: patch of land or a patch of sail> I am betting on the patch of sail.
Soffitrat: Irony indeed.
Spud: witness to your own death (potential) is always an eye opener. One of the reasons I no longer flinch when violence of any sort erupts around me. IF its my time, its my time. I just go with the flow and do what comes naturally.(in this case, steer into the skid and hang on.)
China: Yup, big 20 Cu-yard monsters and I think they are mixing in a bunch of petroleum slurry too.