Monday, March 28, 2011

thinking about,,,,

Homes.

What justifies a home over a house.

I know that this seems off base with the title of my blog but those that have been following me around in the blogosphere know that I am in process of setting up house.

This started with Mayberry talking about his shed, then a coversation with my dad about the house I am working on.(BTW, make sure to check out Mayb's new site.) The first installment of my solar panels showed up today and it got him to questioning me on what I am up to. To say he is 'not happy' about it would be a bit of an understatement. Unfortunately, I have to wait on him talking to my sister to get the full story. That's the way it is in my family. You never get the straight scoop from the source; it has to be filtered through a third party first. (My dad is the worst about this. Granted it has saved a lot of trouble in some situations though.)

Back to the home thoughts.

For me, and I know that this won't apply to all, a home is a place to lay my body down, with only the comforts I want around me and a way to shut out the world at large until I am ready to invite it in, and a way to kick it back out when it has worn out its welcome. Notice not one point in there about Floor space, or giga-sized gourmet kitchens, or Heinlein-esque "Refreshers". Nope, none of that for me. I only want enough to keep the wind and rain out, the world off my back, and a place to keep my books and me. There will be a good sized porch and that is essential to my sanity. I spend most of my time either on a porch or in a shop but very little actual time in a house. I much prefer the world in its natural state to 4 walls and a ceiling. When I am working in a shop, my attention is focused on the work at hand, not my location so much. Even so, I end up stepping out a lot to clear the fog.

Now, update on how this mess is going. I purchased all of the Metal roofing this past week. All of it from a house that is being dismantled. 32 sheets 14'X4' very few screw holes in it and in great shape. $250 for all of it, delivered to my site. I am looking at 6 4'X2 1/2' triple paned vinyl windows from another site, Willing to pay $50 each but my dad thinks the guy may part with them for cheaper. Guess you could call me a scrooge but I really hate paying full price for anything. Especially when I can find the same thing for a whole lot less. Things are starting to come together and if they keep moving at the pace they are: I won't worry about getting a camper.(other than for the appliances I want.) In some ways, my dad is in good spirits as he is seeing some of his influence in my choices (being super frugal for one.) But I know he is still having a hard time getting his head around my wanting 'a shack' in the woods. That's alright, he will get over it when I am in it and living comfortably. Once he sees how things work and that its much bigger than his vision, that is.

And just to make sure I get a plug for the original intent of this blog: Yes, I will be able to shoot my rifle off my porch. LOL

No comments: