Sunday, January 16, 2011

Lets talk about guns

Seems that everyone is talking about the attempt to criminalize "High capacity magazines" in handguns. Really this is just a back door to further restrictions and everyone knows it, no one is really talking about it(at least, not in the main stream) and yet, there seems to be little forming up to counter it other than words: I certainly haven't seen the big guys doing anything (IE, the impotent NRA)
I won't lie, I haven't anything that has a mag over 10 rounds. the largest mag for my .45 is an 8 round extended plate, the rest are all gov surplus 7 round mags. My PSL is all 10 round mags (and I wouldn't want more than 10 for that. They would only get in the way when using a rest or in the prone position.) That is a personal choice I have made that has not one bearing on 'being civil' but very much a decision to enforce accuracy. Less rounds encourages better aiming(at least in my opinion)

But the simple fact is this; it matters not what the gun is, how many bullets it holds, how large the caliber is, or even how long the barrel is. Those are all particulars that apply only when deciding what the gun is designed to do. Just like when choosing a hammer: you don't build a house with a 6 oz ball peen and you don't want to use a 22" 22oz waffle faced framing hammer on a cold chisel. The real fact is what happens in the gray matter of the (hopefully) sentient cognizant human being behind the gun. I can take a 2" snub nose to the 100 yard line at the range and shoot it down range but it more than likely won't hit paper (at least not with a lot of practice on my part: this reinforces what I just said about the shooter, not the gun). Those that wish to disarm the public in general refuse to acknowledge the fact of shooter responsibility. The gun is ONLY a tool, nothing more. I have made the argument of being able to kill, just as dead, with a pencil as with a bullet. The only real factor is range and determination. The gun makes it easier. And that is what has these jackasses shitting themselves. They know they have pissed off a great majority of the population and the only insurance they can come up with is to take away the tools we COULD use to level the playing field. They know that given time, there won't be a line in the sand to cross because they will have backed us into a corner. They wish to relieve us of our teeth before that point is reached. They have made maneuvers to corner the food markets so that they can use it as a weapon when things start to really fall apart.(no proofs here but history has set precedence here also) And fall apart they will, its just a matter of when.

Yesterday I went to check on a carbine I have been thinking of picking up. Something that I can hand off to someone with little practical experience and know that they can utilize it quickly with little instruction. Simple .45 carbine from a small company in Ohio. The slide is made of pot metal but it holds up well enough under pistol loads that I have little worry about. The action is simplistic enough that there are only 3 moving parts in the slide and 2 pieces for the trigger. And the major selling point,: I can get it for less than a Glock or S&W. $330 suggested retail (I won't tell you what I was quoted since its a bit less than that. Most retailers that deal in these sell them for less than MSRP) The range on it is about 100 yards, able to do that since the longer barrel makes more use of the powder charge giving a slightly higher muzzle velocity. Being a blow back operation, little to no recoil in comparison to 'big and ugly' making it an ideal backup for those that may be intimidated by the recoil of guns like my PSL or the Mosin-Nagant. (and it will make a great game getter when they start to make food a weapon. A .45 hollow point will drop a deer with a quickness.)

Even with the enjoyment of going to look at a new gun, I was pissed off. They are taking the joy out of my favorite pastime. Why should I have to jump through hoops, get an FBI approval for something that my father, grandfather, great grandfather etc etc etc were able to walk into the hardware store and pickup without even thinking about "is my DL current? Have I pissed off some government jerk lately that may get me flagged for a 'hold'?(happened once) and yet, they only want to restrict us further. Hell, I was ID'ed today when buying an energy drink, and it wasn't even one of the alcoholic kinds(those have been banned in this state anyway). Seems to me, I am in my 40's, haven't been attached to mommies tit in well over 40 years, and yet, SOME would like to baby me and treat me as a child. 'Don't think so. I won't put up with it any longer. This is the last piece I will purchase through a retailer/dealer(and I would stop now if it weren't for the fact that its already enroute) All others will be either through private sales or I will make the damned thing myself. ATF be damned, they can't take us all out. And the more they try, the harder each one will get. NOTE: they have been rather quiet ever since the Waco mess. That's not to say they aren't still up our asses, sniffing around hoping for the 'next big bust' to help push the agenda of 'getting guns of the streets'.(one could say trying to 'engineer' said bust)


I won't be corralled into anti-gun debates any longer(nor am I the only one). I am sick of trying to make the points. WE are a nation divided, gun control is only one aspect of that division. I won't be going to D.C. to defend that position. It shouldn't need to be defended. It should be a fact that we are armed, we don't want to be fucked with, and as long as those first two points are understood, we can be big fuzzy teddybears that you can sit on the porch with and have a steak and beer with. (well, most with the exception of the four linked to above. tharn weasels ain't welcome on my properties. :-)) )

3 comments:

Mayberry said...

I am going to build a cannon myself. A mountain Howitzer. that's my next project. Screw the boat (since the banks screwed me out of it anyway)....

Bill Nye said...

http://theelectedretards.blogspot.com/2010/10/folks-are-breaking-their-necks-as-they.html

Dio they are great guns, I love mine.

Anonymous said...

I have already gotten where you now are. With respect to getting involved in anti-gun debates. It is not just the waste of time. It is that I no longer care to even discuss it anymore. Having come to the conclusion that I don't care what anyone else believes or thinks about it all. I am at peace with it.