Friday, April 22, 2011

Boomin good fun

Took the new/old (1973) Winchester .30-30 out to sight her in. The Williams peep sight came in today so what other excuse was needed. I really should learn to take more rounds though. 20 is just a damned warm-up: Kinda like masturbating, feels good but sure as hell ain't as good.

Anywho, Was sighting in at 100 yards, walked off so it may be off but close enough for what I was doing. The intent was to sight in Zero plus 4" so that it would be zeroed at 200. (Gonna get some pics to explain, I left my phone behind. Sorry.)

My cousin heard the booms, spaced apart by 1-2 minutes, and came up to see what I was up to. Oh, the shit I get to give him now. LOL.

"Whatchadoin?"
"Sighting in."
"At what? Don' see nuthin"
"That target on the post down there." (100 yards away.)
"I see the posts but wheres the target? You shoot it off?"
"nope, down near the ground where I won't shoot over the berm."
He squints and I just smile not even bothering to hand him the Bino's that I am using that he can plainly see.
"Horseshit, Still don' see it"
"Well, lets go take a look. I want to see how far I need to come up."

We walk up to the target and he looks back to the cinderblock I was using as a steady rest. "Ain't no way you are hitting that from there with Irons man, no way!"

"Hey Cuz, if I ain't hitting it, why is the post about to fall over?" I say as I point to the bullet ravaged post that is about 1/2" from not existing.
"Ah, you shot that at 25 and came back there just to mess with me."

"Hey, if I you think I can't do it, why don't you stand here and call the shots. I promise I won't do more than wing ya."

"What!?!?! Me stand here while you're shootin that THING?"

"Yup, You can even hold the target so the wind doesn't get up under it. No more than a flesh wound, I swear."
"Your dad told me you were nuts. He's right."
"Maybe. If ya ain't gonna hold the target, come back here and call my shots for me, this walking back and forth shit gets old."

We head back to my 'bench' and I load up the last of the rounds I brought with me. Two shots later, the post falls over.


"Just gonna wing me huh?" laughing.

"yup, not bad either"

"The only person I know that shoots that good is your dad. Guess you are his kid." (running joke in the family since I tower a good foot over my dad)
" Yup, But I have a question."
"sure"
"Being a Buckeye, I heard you Kentucky boys were the best shots around, what gives?"

"Fuck you asshole." Laughing.

And we pack it up and walk back down the hill.

5 comments:

Spud said...

They make one of those Williams peeps for a Marlin 30-30 ? Be a lot better than the stock iron sight.

Diogenes said...

Spud, they sure do.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26035/avs|Make~~Model_1=Marlin__1894/Product/MARLIN___WINCHESTER_LEVER_ACTION_FIRE_SIGHTS


Just copy and paste and that will take you to the page.

I hate using cloverleaf sights now. Guess the ghost rings that I used on the 16 spoiled the shit out of me. Still use them when I have to if the gun won't accept a peep, but I will make one if not (like I did for my PSL, Old post)

Spud said...

Thanks Dio
My military time was a little before yours, back in the day I was on an Army match team with M-14s. Could smack a bullseye at 600 meters with a peep. Can't do that with a stock sight, course my eyes ain't wut they used to be,now that I'm 57.
ya I admit it, I was Army.

Diogenes said...

Spud, so you won't get mad when I rib ya about Army dogs? LOL

No worries, we can't all be perfect. ROFLMAO.

Sorry, had to do it.

Peeps are perfect for me since my right eye (dominant) is also the one that has the weird focus point. I am near sighted in my left eye, and far sighted in my left eye.(makes for interesting reading glasses let me tell you, and drives my optometrist absolutely nuts)Because of that focus, I have a hella time trying to use scopes. I have a long relief scope set up on my Marlin that works for me and the scope set up on the PSL works well too. Even so, I made an adjustable peep sight for the PSL and it works damned good out to 300 yards.(it gets a bit too wiggly for much more than that though, Gonna have to rework it and tighten it up if I decide to go that route full time)

Diogenes said...

And I just realized I contradicted myself in that last comment. My RIGHT eye is farsighted. My bad. I would probably be farsighted in both eyes except for a little accident I had when I was 17 that fractured the bones in my cheek. Changed the focus of my eye permanently.