Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Grrrrr!!! What is it with the Green weenies

As you all know, I am building my house for living off grid. No grandiose 'enlightenment' about Gore'bal Warming or holes in the Ozone or carbon footprint. Nope, none of that crap for me. This is all about becoming independent of anyone but myself.

Now, I have been looking around for information on systems, and ideas on this and I keep running into Prancing Rabbits and their ilk.

Here is a clue for the Green weenies. IF you want people to pay attention to you, STOP rubbing in their face how "horrible their Carbon Footprint is". First and foremost, We (obviously) DON'T GIVE A SHIT! Look around at the bumper stickers in this area and you will see MANY Friends of Coal stickers and others that say, "Ban coal and let the SOB's freeze in the dark." I don't care about my carbon footprint, all you have to do is look at my ragtag beater mid 80's pickemup that has the Cat cut off and leaks oil at enough of a rate to kill the weeds in 'her spot'.

(just look at the pavement and you can see where she has marked her spot.)


Here's another hint. IF you want people to take you seriously, TAKE SHOWER! Hot water, Real soap, shampoo (you may need to shave off your Dred's first but hey, those things can't be all that healthy anyway.)

Here is how I see my future without a Grid tie in. I have purchased two (thinking a third.) hot water heaters. These use GAS! (OMG, how many tons of CO2 am I dumping on you guys? ;P ) I am going to be adding a small GAS stove also. I will heat my house with WOOD and Coal though I lean more to the wood as I don't really like the smell of coal in the house. The shop is fine. I have a very small need for electric. I don't really use as much as you would think IF I don't rely on it for heating water. Really the largest draw on my system is going to be the Fridge. Followed by my tools in the shop. My netbook pulls so little power that I had to change the setting on my Fluke to get a good reading. While on, and recharging, its only drawing 1/3 W !!! IF I leave it on and plugged in, It takes an entire month to come close to one days use of my old laptop.

The reason I have been looking at these things is to root out any issues I may run into. What I have been finding (5th book and all run a similar vein) is Preaching about the first three myths. GW CC Ozone. And every single stinking one of them talks about 'gooberment subsidies' and how that is making things more affordable.( umm, do I really need to start firing off torpedoes at that or should I wait until I have a GW in my face first? ) NOT ONE book has actually answered a single question I have.

Maybe I need to write the book myself. Sell it online at Amazon, Kobo, and Barnes and Nobel as an E-book for a measly $.59. That would cut the sales of these Greenweeny books I am certain.
What do you think the title should be? "Getting off Grid so I can make the hippies Scream in outrage"


Just saying.

6 comments:

Son of Liberty said...

i'm jealous Dio.

you're ahead of me. i'll be going back to that place with the touristy coal train and the big waterfall pretty soon.

i plan on buying some land that butts up to the nat'y forest and buildig a cabin project. i want it to be as close to self sufficient as i can get for your exact same reasons. to not be dependant on anyone.

kindof a thenry david thoreau/ walden pond kindof deal.

when i get back to the dark and bloody ground maybe i'll hit you up and get some "lessons learned" for my own project.

-SoL

Son of Liberty said...

*henry not thenry.
i think faster than i can type and spelling/capitalization/grammer/punctuation is an afterthought :)

Diogenes said...

I am near the Danny Boone forest. RedBird Mission area-ish. A good mix of Deciduous and Fir forests. Lots of year round streams and temperate enough that you don't really have to worry too much about deep freezes that may cause issues.
Feel free to look me up, I ain't goin nowhere.

Son of Liberty said...

nice.
thanks, next time i head up there i'll holler at you.

i used to ride my bicycle to yahoo falls everyday as a kid in my little slice of the daniel boone. we're over 80% d boone NF plus the big south fork natl river & rec area.
looks like you're about a county over from my hometown.

id buy you a beer, but we're a dry county :) LOL.

Regards,
SoL

russell1200 said...

I don't recall if you are married.

If not, learn the lingo so you can chat up one the hippie chicks and invite her back to your place with its nice warm bath!

If you are married: ignore the above!

Diogenes said...

Russell, Nope, been there done that, then tried it again without all of the legal hangups and back to square one again.
There are very few of those hippiechicks I might be interested in but not a bad idea. Show her how Good "being bad" can be, LOL.