Sunday, April 17, 2011

You take what you can get.

You take what you can get.
Was hoping that I would find a town. Well, people anyway. I found the town. And a pit that wasn't quite covered up. Don't want to go into details but what I saw reminded me of pics from my old history books. I think the smell was the worst part of it. I hadn't smelled anything like that since I was in Kuwait near the highway of death. Twice is more than enough in one lifetime.

I found some rounds for the winchester in an old workshed back out of the way. No food to be found anywhere. It looks like whomever dug the pit also raided the town for anything and everything edible. Looking at it any other way leaves too many questions unanswered. I have a lot of those these days. More questions than answers. Oh to have the news resources of three years ago. So much of this could be avoided if we had some reliable way of getting in touch with others.

The biggest unanswered question now is; Who did it? Raiders or FEMA? I may never know.


Venison gets old after awhile. You take what you can get though. The other option is using another round to get something different. I can't be greedy, I have food and rounds don't grow on trees. If I had brought the .22 I could get a rabbit or squirrel: a .30-30 will turn one of those inside out. If I were home, I could get more by reloading. Being on the road; not an option. 260 miles to go to the Texas border, gotta be frugal. Went ahead and pulled the PSL out today and reassembled it. I may not need it but the land is getting flatter and that last town has me nervous. I would rather be able to scope out a situation from a distance and alleviate issues if need be than wait until said issues are within 200 yards.

After the first year, things had really settled down to a working system. There were rough spots. People getting a little cabin fever going, loneliness, and whole lots of depression in normally upbeat people. Had one suicide, well, we think it was a suicide. No real hunger considering the lack of variety. Beans, chicken, potatoes, chicken, beans, occasional bacon or ham, beans, eggs, beans, side of beef that stretched really thin, beans, corn, beans. You get the idea. Did I mention beans? There were times when the inventor in me really wanted to come up with a way to capture the gases we were emitting. God, I could have ran a generator on that.

We had a Doc, that was one of my real concerns. No real medicine to speak of. The hospital had been looted pretty quickly. The pill heads took everything that wasn't solidly locked up in a safe. What we had is antibiotics for cattle and horses, some Over the Counter painkillers and a whole lot of 'Shine. The alcohol was extremely important since we had no other way of disinfecting other than boiling. Hard to do that with some of the stuff the Vet, I mean Doc, used.
When things stopped working there were very few people in the little town near us. Many probably stayed put when they realized that the game was up. Safer that way. Don't know if they are doing well or not. Things have changed a lot and there is a serious lack of communication. Maybe this little trip will pan out and things can start moving forward soon.

Burned out Hummer in the ditch.

I am on a hill overlooking the scene. Looks like an ambush site. I can see two corpses near the hummer, lots of brass and nothing else. Don't know if I want to really know but I may find some answers too.



((this thing is unpredictable right now. It is literally writing itself.))

5 comments:

Scott R said...

Hey unpredictable is a-ok it's a great story to come back to.

Spud said...

And your point is? Reality is unpredictable so why not fiction also. The sky is the limit of our imagination. Jest don't forget the hotties dude lol

Kodiak said...

Good read!!

Anonymous said...

Well, I always thought that you'd be able to write a good story. Keep it up and who knows?

chinasyndrome said...

IT is doing a fine job of writing itself Bro!Let it free.

China
III