Saturday, April 16, 2011

Feedback please.

It's been three years since they burned the sky.

The truck died about the time I hit what was left of Memphis. Been on foot since. Still about 300 miles to go to get to east Texas where I am hoping to meet up with some friends from long ago. I hope they are still there.


I guess I should start at the beginning, or should I say the end: it gets confusing sometimes since I am still upright and breathing when I should be coyote droppings like the rest.

The year is 2012, I had just turned 43 and things were getting pretty rough in the world. We were involved in Five international “Kinetic Engagements” and things at home weren't very pretty either. The upper midwest was essentially a free fire zone though no one really knew 'who' was on what side. The Unions went terminal before things really went crazy so there was no way to be certain if it was internal or just economic strife reaching critical mass.
The Patriot movement was getting more aggressive while not actually making any show of real force other than showing up armed at TEA party events. No one really expected things to go the way they did but wanted the Powers that Be to know, with certainty, that they were ready.

Only no one was ready for what came next.

Obammy was sitting at 23% approval rating and falling 3 months before the elections. When my birthday rolled around in September, it was sitting right around 19% or so. But the number is really irrelevant now. It was low enough that the Paul/Palin ticket was pretty much a shoe-in. Obama was losing his teeth even after conniving Trump to switch sides. Things were getting uglier by the day . The dollar had to be tracked on a 24 hour basis since it was no longer the Reserve currency. Gold was holding steady at $1985/oz. No one wanted it to cross the $2000/oz cut-off that would call for confiscation. Silver was trading at 8:1 with gold. Holding a roll of silver dollars made you the mayor of whatever town you were in. Jobs? If you could find anything that wasn't directly working for the Government, you were lucky. We hadn't gone into hyper inflation since the Government was in charge of the banks now and there was NO actual cash trading hands any longer. You would get a Debit Card from an employer that held your 'money'. You had thirty days to spend it then they started deducting 'service charges'. It wasn't pretty.



Being involved in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Iran and Israel, we had the Majority of our troops overseas. The ones here were either on medical leave, preparing to discharge, or being held in custody for 'war crimes'. The only ones that didn't fall into that list were Obamas 'chosen few' that were loyal to him completely. Only we didn't know it then. When they cut the trunklines of the net by using a MOAB on Memphis, we thought that the Chinese had struck. We were still that naive.(or was it mass denial? )

Thank God for geeks though. I don't know what group was able to do it but they rerouted all traffic through the Birmingham backbone. It only held for a few weeks but it was enough to get information through. While it took three days to do, the damage was done. People were dying en mass. Transportation was down due to lack of information. No one was able to get food or fuel due to being forced into a cashless society.(its for the security of the nation, think of the children! I hope whomever managed to put a bullet in that bitches head had an orgasm while watching the gore explode all over Harry Reid. Too bad they missed him though.)

Having information back up opened up the Pandora's box that O really wanted opened at first. The Patriots, Tea party, Militia's, and others managed to get their dope together for once. And that was what brought about burning the sky. O (at least I believe it was him) gave the order to blow 5 EMP's over fly-over country.

Everything I have learned since then is second and third hand information. If it isn't pre-1970's Tech, its toast. I managed to get my truck running by using an old Weber-Carter Carburetor and an old points distributor from a junk yard wreck. It cost me $3silver. The FI fuel pump still worked but I had to rig up a relief valve to reduce the pressure to keep from blowing the bowl off the carb. She ran pretty damned good on a mixture of Moonshine and kerosene. Smoked a little but she always did. Considering she had 250K when all of this started, I am just glad she lasted as long as she did.

We weren't too bad off at first. We had the gardens, I had already 'gone green' with solar power. For some reason, I didn't lose all of my panels. Maybe it was the mountain between me and the Cincinnati burst; I can't say for sure though. My kid showed up 3 months later with her little family in tow. Funny to see the Granbehbie riding a bike but she held her own the whole way they tell me. Things went down hill fast in Cincinnati. Riots were already breaking out due to the non-existent food supply within the city. That was when my daughter decided it was time to split. Good thing she did too. I was prepared to go get her with little hope of being able to pull it off. Not sure what happened to my sisters. One was in Cincinnati but no one knows where she is now. The other was in Colorado and winter was fast approaching. I doubt either one made it with how long it has been.

I need to find more .30-30 rounds. Holding off rebuilding the PSL until I am in country where I will need the reach.


(((This is what happens when I eat chili before going to bed. Maybe premonitory or just bad vibes and good food with too much spice. dunno))))

9 comments:

Scott R said...

Oh you have to keep writing this, good PAW fiction is hard to come by so please continue the story.

Scott R
Prepology

Mayberry said...

I like it!

David III said...

Yep, I agree with Scott and Mayberry, you ought to put in something like a witch burning for Pelosi LOL

SHARON said...

Must have more, this is really good!

chinasyndrome said...

Keep going Dio I like!

China
III

Shy Wolf said...

Dangit- why do people ALWAYS stop just when I get hooked? Darn, Dio- get those fingers busy, please.
Shy III

Soffitrat said...

Hum, East Texas? Am I dead yet? LOL!

Diogenes said...

Soffitrat, I will tell you the same thing I told my sister: Guess ya have to keep reading. LOL Anticipation is such a great tool to the writer.

russell1200 said...

One of the early post WW2 doom books - No Blade of Grass - had the British government - planning to A-bomb its own population to lower the demand for food.

I was surprised they were that cynical even then.