Saturday, May 22, 2010

Census fun

I didn't get to have the fun that Blue Ghost was able to have , but I did get to have some fun with our local census worker.

She has been coming around the last couple of days trying to catch the strays that are always out and about in my building (and the one next to it) (little background: Most of the people that live in these buildings are either College students or travel career workers that don't want a large place while they are traveling) She started asking me questions about the tenents and I happily told her the number of people living in each dwelling. She continued and I would answer the same way: only the number of the people living in each apartment. She then started asking for my personal information and I had to shut the conversation down. She wasn't real happy about it when I pulled out a copy of the Constitution and showed her the article on the Census. She then wanted my name.

I sat for a minute before I answered her.
"When I was dealing with the CSEA (child support enforcement agency) I would ask the names of my caseworkers and all they would ever give me was their last name. No matter how much I tried I could never get a first name, badge number, employee number, NOTHING. Now,since I haven't a friggen clue as to your name, or if that badge that you are sporting is even real; Why would I demean myself by answering that question?"

"Sir, I need it to show who answered for these people in their absence."

"And what you are going to write in that spot is 'American Patriot' and be happy about it because that is 1) True information, and 2) ALL YOU ARE GETTING."

Least to say, she wasn't content with that information but found that, of the others that are in our building, she wasn't going to get anymore information out of us. I guess I did my job of informing the other tenents of what was legal and right in this sense.

I have a swirl of other thoughts at this point but nothing that will gel up for writing down. Maybe later I will post those thoughts. Stay tuned, more to come.

No comments: