Thursday, May 13, 2010

Continuing job hunts

It seems that if a company has an affiliation to the Chinese (read this as Harbor Freight, Home Depot etc) they are still in the hiring curve. Somehow I miss the correlation. (snark)

Local businesses aren't hiring at all. If its privately owned and ran, not a national chain, most are so underwater right now, many have shown signs of closure. Not all, but many. I know that this really shouldn't come as a surprise since the Corporations have the ability to soak up losses across a much broader range of area where the little guys are stuck with the local economy(which is something of an oxymoron seeing how we are stuck with a federal mandated currency)

TOR said in Comments
Jobs aren't really going away. I mean a few have recently but I am looking longer term. Due to a variety of factors formerly middle class jobs are becoming crap jobs. A job that used to make the equivalent of 40 a year with security, benefits and good retirement often now makes 28-32 without bennies, a non matching 401k and no security.


To some extent, I have to disagree. Most of the Computer Support roles that I have done are now overseas. With the Internet being as effective as it is, they are able to remote support from Turkey, India, and Romania just as well as I could from this country. There is the Language factor but Having talked to a few techs in Turkey, really not the factor that it was a couple of years ago when everything was in Northern India and the "Habib" factor was so prevalent. In example, The company I was working for had 1400 employees on first shift covering 36 accounts. Today they are down to 360 first shift covering 42 accounts. The majority of the accounts are handled at tier 1 overseas, the tier 2 is here but those people are making less than I was as tier 1 an handling more accounts to boot.(that goes to TOR's comment of 'middle class jobs becoming crap jobs'.

I guess the point of this post is "they Meddle".
The more TPTB meddle in things the worse they get across the board. Yet there is a 53% majority that voted this in out of ignorance or guilt and we have to put up with it till failure.(I really don't believe there is any hope of correcting course in either 2010 or 2012 elections.) I guess we will know more how our grandparents lived and hopefully some of those lessons are still seated back somewhere in our brains. I know that I have had to make adjustments but only for the better when looked at in hindsight. 2 years ago, I wouldn't take a job that brought home less than 450 a week. Now I am comfortable on half that. I could do with less but that means driving less and there is a fine balance of transportation and money generation. If I were able to have a garden, it would be half again.

Maybe its time to just up and go to the Gulch and establish that little base of operations. This City is filled with the walking dead waiting for the life support to get cut off.(then we will see death throes, of the violent sort)

3 comments:

chinasyndrome said...

All very true.Many jobs have went away and they are not coming back.Our Government is a joke,incompetence at best,dangerous at worst.As soon as possible I will find a couple acres and be out of here.

China
III

Mayberry said...

The stores are closing 'round here, and shiny new shopping centers stand empty. The few companies that are hiring have that "100 trained monkeys waiting for your job" attitude. We have an opening at my work, and almost 200 people applied, when we used to get 50. People applying from ALL OVER, not just local. The job market is in the shitter, and that is because jobs are going away, pure and simple. Those jobs that are left pay much less, and want twice as much out of you. Oh, and Texas is doing "good" compared to the rest of the country. So they say. I guess that's true, because we're only talking cutbacks, not bankruptcy. Yup, things are dandy....

Diogenes said...

I hate to say it but, Welcome to the GDII (Great depression)


Guess we will see how we all get out of this one.