Sunday, May 9, 2010

Damned fine point made here.

H/T to Rico at Theo Sparks.
You may remember a time when you were asked "will that be paper or plastic?" and it queried how you wanted your groceries sacked.

It works pretty well for buying gasoline (or most other items) these days. Bear with me:

In 1970 you could buy three gallons of gas with a dollar bill or a silver dollar. Anyone could easily get a silver dollar for a paper dollar.

Today you can buy about five gallons of gas with a silver dollar, but you can only buy one-third of one-gallon with a paper dollar. When was the last time you could trade a paper dollar for a silver dollar? Tried lately? Good luck!
- This is a difference of fifteen times (15x) or 1,500%! It is also called INFLATION.

And there are still some who believe the Government when it says "Inflation? What inflation? We don't have no stinkin' inflation!"



The only point I have to add to that: Try getting paid in Silver. Yes you can if you work for certain minded people but they are not easy to find.

2 comments:

Bitmap said...

If you do get paid in silver then you have to expect your paycheck to look smaller.

Where I work they don't even want to issue a paycheck. The push is for electronic transfer of "money" (direct deposit) and these days they don't even give you a paper showing the breakdown of your pay - you have to go online to look at that. I think that they will still give you a check if you insist but the company makes it difficult and unpleasant and may even charge a fee. I don't see the sense in fighting it since the check is only good for a pile of paper with numbers on it.

Diogenes said...

I do side work for silver if/when I can find people willing to pay that way. I work for cash too but that usually ends up at the silver dealer to be transferred into silver coins. It isn't doing me much good at this point but when things get worse, I am sure that silver coins are going to be worth A LOT more than toilet paper with pretty pictures printed on it. I am not investing in it as a way to get ahead but as an insurance policy to keep me afloat when the cesspool ruptures.