Tuesday, May 3, 2011

About the PSL

This is a response to a comment I made elsewhere in the blogosphere. I am no expert and this is mostly opinion, but all of it is based upon my experience with this particular gun and some of my experience within a two way shooting gallery.


The PSL (aka Romak3 and the Dragunov though it is NOT a dragunov) is a support weapon. Similar in use as they use the M14 now. It is NOT a main battle weapon nor is it intended to be. It is most definitely NOT a sniper rifle either. Yes it has the range, but its accuracy is not sufficient to that role. By support weapon I refer to the Marine role of Designated Marksman. This person is not to directly engage the enemy like a squad would but to support that squad from a distance by eliminating threats to the squad with well placed support fire. It is good for that role. I have shot mine quite a bit out to 600m and it does well enough that I know I can hit a man sized target in center mass consistently. Due to this support nature, the rifle is designated with either 10rnd mags or 5 rnd mags(this is more dependent upon when not where you purchased it. Lately 10 rnds is the rule of the game.) Having shot this rifle from the prone, no tripod, just sling and forearm for support, anything more than a 10rnd mag is going to be a PITA. Let alone setting you up for becoming a bigger target, literally. As a support rifle goes, you really shouldn't need much more than 10 round mags since you will only get off ,maybe, 2 rounds than scoot to the next position. If you can't change a mag while scooting, you definitely need to be practicing more and watching Hollywood war movies less. If you find yourself in a position where you need a 30 round mag, you are probably carrying the wrong weapon for your role. BUT, the PSL packs one hell of a punch and probably could hold its own if you were proficient at mag changes while in cover.

Reloading: This is a point of contention among many people in the prepper arena. I continue tossing the idea back and forth but keep coming up with an "against" the idea. THIS reason I chose the PSL over something more powerful, or accurate. Cheap ammo. The PSL could possibly be reloaded for though finding the actual bullets and brass may be a tad difficult. The real issue isn't that though. The PSL is abusive of brass. Terribly so. Even the steel cased rounds I shoot show bashed in throats and occasionally a dented case. Looking at the extraction method used (AK based system) the spent round is literally bouncing off the side of the receiver on ejection. This rifle also throws the round about 20 feet right and rear of your position. (hint if you are looking for your spent brass. It ain't close to you.) I had one person that refused to believe me and he ended up with a goose egg on the side of the head from one of the shells hitting him. They come out fast and hard.
Some people reload to gain as much accuracy from said rifles. This is well and fine when you are able to take your time making the shot placement. IE: at the range or when in a sniper role. When the flak starts rolling though, you will be amazed at how "minute of badguy" is good enough. That is one thing the PSL is very good at. Even with 'cheap hungarian' or Cheap Yugo steel cored steel cased berden primed milsurp stuff, this rifle is accurate enough to warrant a redefinition of "concealment vs cover" by tightening up what actually covers your ass. (not much by the way.) That steel core stuff gets through things even a full metal jacket will disintegrate on. Currently I have personally witnessed shooting through a 22" white oak, about 10" of sandstone, and concrete blocks explode on impact. I haven't felt the urge to shoot up my truck yet, so I can't say what it would do to a vehicle. (check out the Buick of Truth for an idea what bullets do to cars.)

Of all the things I didn't like about my PSL was the iron sights. I did a post about making a rear Peep sight for that long ago. (dig for it, its in here) But the Scope this thing came with: Wow. I wouldn't want anything else for shots over 200m. I keep mine Zero'd for 600M that leaves a little overlap on closer ranges (the scope is not centered on the rifle) but still leaves a little room for error at 700+. The scope is also calibrated for the 54R round with 150gr bullet. Why mess with a known system. I have not, YET, shot past the 600m range. I have a place to go but just haven't been able to assemble a reliable spotter yet. In time.

Yeah Magazines are expensive. No more so than most others out there. Fact is, if you can find them, they are worth exactly what you pay for them. I got lucky and found a guy that was selling off a case he had acquired. I got 10 mags for $50 plus shipping. 10 mags filled with 7.62X54R is some heavy gear to be hauling around. Granted you will need to carry more 'loose' and there is the distinct disadvantage of not being able to use stripper clips. Sorry, one round at a time for these babies. Again, this goes back to the original intent of the weapon in a combat role. Not a highspeed weapon but one meant for careful shot placement under high stress.


As for MBR, the PSL could be, but only if a person were willing to take the chance they wouldn't be going toe to toe with the enemy. This rifle is best served at moderate distances. Close up work she can do but she is going to limp along. That long sight radius means you won't be shooting from the hip with ease. That reason alone means you may want to be carrying a second weapon 'just in case'.

SO, for a weapon that 'fully loaded' can usually be had for under a grand (occasionally can be found 'stripped down' (no scope, one mag) for around $500) My advice is. Grab one up, IF and only IF you think you will have some luxury in 'choosing the showdown'. If not, find you an AK and a lot more ammo. If you are in a situation with people that you trust already, this is a good one to have around but I wouldn't want to load everyone down with this monster. (10 pounds unloaded) Keep in mind what its intended combat role is when considering what your intentions(and needs) are.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you looked at the AK-54R built by Waffen Works???? I believe that it is marketed through Atlantic Firearms.

Doug
Newark, Ohio

Diogenes said...

I would if I were in the market. As it stands now, I am full up om arms. Just working on the ammo department now.

Diogenes said...

Hey Doug, don't know if you will check back or not. Checked out the rifle you mentioned. Nice, but I see a few problems with it's design.

Have you ever shot a Mosin Nagant? One of the original 1898's?

Then turn around and shot one of the M44's (still a mosey but carbine style)

IF you have you will see the immediate problem with that design. Flames.
LOTS of FLAMES. The PSL shoots a fire ball out about three feet. THe mosin gets about 2 feet. Shorten up either barrel and that fire ball gets MUCH bigger. The other side of that (though not as critical since this is a springloaded recoil buffer in the action) is shorter barrels increase Recoil potential. Not just because of the reduced mass but because of reduced lock time. (My definition of lock time is the time between the hammer falling and the bullet passing the gas port OR leaving the barrel in a bolt.) There is more energy exiting the barrel, unused, so it has to go somewhere. That somewhere is noise, fire and recoil.
Granted in a fire fight, noise is the least of your worries. But if you are trying to shoot from a point of some concealment, this gun is going to be like waving a Red and purple flag over your head while screaming "here I am, come and get me." Higher recoils can make it harder to get back on target as I am sure we have all experienced shooting 3" shells out of a really light 12ga at one time or another.(or similar)

All of the reasons I mention above are considerations I make when checking out a rifle. Handguns too, to some extent. I am not a recoil junkie but I am not intimidated by high recoil. BUT it does weigh in. IF I can't get back on target in under 1 second, its a no go for me. (I have dumped my PSL mag in 6 seconds with 8/10 at 100yards. (iron sights) Good enough for my needs.)