Tuesday, May 31, 2011

gag reflex suppressed

Yup, I am suppressing the gag reflex today. Ain't got nuttin to tawk'bout. I started tappin out a post about three times today and if it weren't a reflection of someone elses blog or just gettin gnarly about current conditions, it was hollow. Even the posts about those things were pretty hollow.

Maybe its a form of burn out. Dunno.

Don't care too much right now either.

Its hot, the air isn't moving much at all and believe me, when you are standing in front of a furnace melting metal (as I did for about 5 hours today) 100 degrees adds up really quick if there isn't a breeze. Granted, gettin away from the furnace made the ambient air feel like air conditioning for a few minutes. The real issue was not being able to shed the sweat through evaporation. Luckily, there is a really nice little creek running right there and sticking most of me in it on occasion made life completely bearable.

Up side? I now have 50 lbs of completely 'rendered' aluminum ready for casting when I need it. 1 1/2 lb ingots that stack really nicely in my new crucible. Cleaned using the degas/flux stuff I got (which is really cool to watch working!) and of course, LOTS of heat.
To say I am bushed is an understatement. Heat will kill your stamina quick like.

I will be back with something of substance tomorrow when my brain stops sizzling.

1 comment:

Mayberry said...

I hear ya. Today I was stuck out broiling in the sun and humidity doing stuff I really don't like to do (building a pier at work). Pure misery. And now I get my next favorite thing: sleep deprivation. Back to work at midnight to harvest fish from a couple ponds. I'll try to nap for an hour or so, but it doesn't do much good. Such radical changes in sleep patterns aren't very good on the body...

Ha ha, WV is "whfurcat". Reminds me of another bout of sleep deprivation, the boat I used to work on, "Wharf Cat"...